Any ideas of what to buy my granddaughters for Christmas?

Just for fun... thought I'd ask all the moms with small children out there. My granddaughters are 4 and 11 mos. I am clueless as to any new toy on the market and the 4 year old seems to have everything... What are your young ones asking for this year?

pupmom

Asked by pupmom at 12:16 AM on Nov. 3, 2008 in Just for Fun

• My mom bought each of the girls a leapster last christmas. They love that thing! They were 4, 6 and 7. They still play with it all the time and it was educational.

Both of my grandma's still do something special for me, my brother and my cousin each year. One of them buys a wooden ornament with our name and the year on it. She always picked something that we were interested in that year. I have soccer ones, a ballet girl, a horse...whatever we were into.

The other grandma takes a picture of us and makes it into an ornament. I have 25 of them that I hang up every Christmas! Even as a kid I looked forward to opening those two things each year. It was something special from my grandma just to me and meant so much more than the toys that wouldn't be around in a few years.
    southenrmunchkn

Answer by southenrmunchkn at 5:31 AM on Nov. 3, 2008

• As the grandparent you have the luxury of not getting them something they need or could use. I have an 11 year old and my mom and my husbands mom always get her something special. My mother in law started getting her porcelain dolls which she now collects and loves. I don't know something special just from you that creates that connection between you and her like a hand made blanket or something she will cherish for a lifetime,
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:23 AM on Nov. 3, 2008

• What about a tea set or a doll house for the older one? The younger one it really doesn't matter. Not to sound harsh, but she won't really remember anyway. Maybe one of those grow with you bikes or playsets so as she develops she can continue to use it?
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 12:37 AM on Nov. 3, 2008

• How about starting up or adding to an existing savings account for them...???
    livewell4me

Answer by livewell4me at 5:54 AM on Nov. 3, 2008