How can I get my 3 year old in his own bed?

My son will be 3 in January. He has slept with me and his dad since he was born. And now that he's almost 3 we can't get him out of our bed. He's afraid of the dark, so we got him a nightlight we thought that might work, but it has not. My husband keeps nagging at me to make him sleep in his bed,but when I try he will lay there and he'll keep on crying and screaming, I hate seeing him cry. So I always give in. I really could use some advice on how I can get my son to sleep in his own bed. Please help me!

Tsmith_09

Asked by Tsmith_09 at 12:18 PM on Nov. 12, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I just did this with my four year old. I let him pick out removable stickers for his bedroom walls, then he got to use whatever pillows and blankets he wanted. My only condition to this was he actually had to sleep in his room. He has now been in there for about a month and I've rarely had a problem. I also made this his main b-day present.
    sandbuster

Answer by sandbuster at 12:23 PM on Nov. 12, 2010

• Could you compromise with him sleeping on the floor in your room? My son slept in a sleeping bag for months in my room because he was afraid of "the noises". This is not what I think is most appropriate but sometimes you have to get creative. You could tell your son he his getting too big for your bed or come up with some other reason for it. GL!
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 1:21 PM on Nov. 12, 2010

• I don't know from personal experience but a good friend of mine went through that and ultimately they had to put their three yr old in his room after placing a night light, a special turtle that shows stars and moons, even new cool comfy blankets. He was always crying and saying he was afraid they gave in then went to therapist. They got the advice they didn't want to hear let your child cry. It will be torture the first couple of nights and actually their son fell asleep crying and poking his fingers under the door. They had to move him to his bed afterwards. Try it for a weekend, sleep no so important...
    Samoei36

Answer by Samoei36 at 9:06 PM on Nov. 12, 2010

• Since you let him sleep with you from the begining, you have a lot of work for yourself now.
    Shanna84

Answer by Shanna84 at 9:10 AM on Nov. 15, 2010