Pro's and Con's of Home school and public

Which ever one you currently use. what are the pro's and con's of it. I want to do the comparisons myself so if you could just do the pro's and con's and not make it one vs. another I would appreciate it. I didn't mention Private school because it isn't an option for us at this time.

But_Mommie

Asked by But_Mommie at 12:25 PM on Nov. 12, 2010 in General Parenting

• The Con's of homeschooling for me would be that my kids wouldn't live past the first month! Lol! My kids dont listen to me like they do other people. It gets incredibly frustrating for me to try to teach them anything, let alone a whole curriculum!
    MommaTurbo

Answer by MommaTurbo at 12:27 PM on Nov. 12, 2010

• R u considering it?
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 12:28 PM on Nov. 12, 2010

• Well this is really something that is personal. What might be a pro to me is a con to someone else. We chose public for 1 reason. I don't have the time to socialize them the way I feel they need to be if home schooled and DH won't do it. In all other areas I prefer home schooling. We do have a great school district here for our children though and if it wasn't for that I likely would have gone with home schooling even with the lack of socialization time for at least the first few grades any way.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 12:30 PM on Nov. 12, 2010

• The cons of homeschooling are not getting to socialize, unless you do alot of sports or something. Also public school can be hard if they are getting teased. I think it helps kids get more prepared for the real world. Moms and dads aren't always gonna be their to protect them.
    arenad

Answer by arenad at 12:35 PM on Nov. 12, 2010

• WE are considering it and I know it is a personal decision and this is why I want make sure I haven't missed something in my considerations. Hence the what are the pro's and con's to you. I will either add them to my list, they are already their, or I will decide they aren't an issue for me.
    But_Mommie

Comment by But_Mommie (original poster) at 12:37 PM on Nov. 12, 2010

• Well this is all up to you and what you think. We did the same with the pro's and con's and we are choosing homeschooling because the pro's out weigh the con's big time in our eyes. I really don't see many con's about it except needing some "me" time every now and then when they stop having quiet time when they are older. We both went to public schools and we don't wish that on any of our kids. It was aweful. The things they learn and are taught...no thank you! The whole no socialization thing is a big load of crap. There are SO many homeschool groups and co-ops that meet once a week at the least. Our kids get out and are around kids at least 4 days out of the week with different activities. Another pro, you can pick up and go whenever...have class outside....go on any field trips you want. If you are bad in one subject that you can't help your child with...you can find help within your homeschool groups or get a tutor.
    kristinashley24

Answer by kristinashley24 at 12:42 PM on Nov. 12, 2010

• Socialization is the least of my worries. lol. We have church 2 times a week and horse back riding on Saturdays and 1-2 times a month he has Social skills classes. (he has Asperger's)
    But_Mommie

Comment by But_Mommie (original poster) at 12:44 PM on Nov. 12, 2010

• My daughter attended one of the top ten public elementary schools in the US, and attends a high school (the same one that Michele Obama attended) that is consistently in the top 100. I am a huge proponent of public schools (and I could not possibly prepare a child for college at home).

Answer by rkoloms at 3:45 PM on Nov. 13, 2010