Attitude... HELP!!!

My 7 year old just recently started giving horrible attitude. And when I mean horrible, I mean like SUPER NANNY kind of attitude. I don't know what to do. I've tried everything from grounding (no outside, no friends over) to loss of electronics. I've even broke down and screamed at the top of my lungs. Nothing is working. Her attitude seems worse than mine was at 14. Please Help me!!!

Momma72923

Asked by Momma72923 at 12:26 PM on Nov. 12, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Be consistent always. She has a "currency" which is that thing she can not live without! Take that away for an appropriate time as punishment. Also, make sure she is getting enough one on one time with you and your SO. Sometimes they go for the negative attention when they do not get enough positive attention. Plus praise her when she does things right.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 1:09 PM on Nov. 12, 2010

• Is this an ongoing problem with your child or is this something new? Children can pick up on parent's stress so is everything ok at home? Some children are more difficult to deal with than others. I would use a time out for her, (1 minute per year, so she would get a 7 minute time out), and even toys can be placed in time out. Always speak to children at eye level, not losing your cool...remain calm even if she acts up. DON'T give in no matter what because they she will think that if she carries on, you will give in. Children learn how to manipulate from a very young age. Set your boundaries and be consistent. She will eventually get that you mean business and acting up isn't going to get her anywhere. Good luck. BTW if this continues, I would consult a child therapist. I also meant to ask you how she behaves in school? If she is good in school then she can be good at home. Good luck.
    twinkletoes0408

Answer by twinkletoes0408 at 1:22 PM on Nov. 12, 2010