Proof of residence?

In the state I live in, WI, we can register to vote on election day. I was reading through the requirements and it said to bring a piece of mail for proof of residence. There is only one problem; I have a PO box and NOTHING goes to my home address. Anyone know what I should do or have a similar experience?

rach_jaco

Asked by rach_jaco at 12:23 AM on Nov. 3, 2008 in Politics & Current Events

• Go ahead and telephone them. I work as a precinct worker and they have a phone number that we or anyone else can call for answers. I'm in California, so I can't tell you the Wisconsin number. ... It's GREAT that you can register so last minute !! Give them a call - I expect you can go to a police department or a City Hall for some paperwork ... Good luck !
    waldorfmom

Answer by waldorfmom at 12:51 AM on Nov. 3, 2008

• power bill or cable bill or phone bill with the service address printed on it. even though the mailing address is your PO Box, it will state the physical address on the bill.
    flutterfae

Answer by flutterfae at 12:24 AM on Nov. 3, 2008

• I should add that we currently live with my in-laws so all of the utility bills, etc. are in their name.
    rach_jaco

Answer by rach_jaco at 12:27 AM on Nov. 3, 2008

• ooo... that sucks! I can't think of anything to use as proof of residency... what about drivers license? IDK

you could try taking the inlaw's bill with you and just explain you live there. it it matches the address on your license, you should be OK
    flutterfae

Answer by flutterfae at 12:30 AM on Nov. 3, 2008

• what about driver license?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:42 AM on Nov. 3, 2008

• The home address is on my driver's license, but it said that I also need a piece of mail.
    rach_jaco

Answer by rach_jaco at 12:46 AM on Nov. 3, 2008

• Yah I'd go to the power company and ask for a printout stating where you're paying for power if it's not on a regular bill.
    rlemde

Answer by rlemde at 12:48 AM on Nov. 3, 2008

• YOU HAVE A RIGHT TO VOTE REGARDLESS! WHAT IF I WERE HOMELESS AND LIVING IN MY CAR OR NOT EVEN IN A CAR? IF YOU HAVE PICTURE ID I THINK THEY SHOULD LET YOU VOTE. I HAVE MY SAMPLE BALLOT AND VOTER INSTRUCTION BOOKLET AND I THINK THAT SHOULD BE ENOUGH.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:45 AM on Nov. 3, 2008