Why is reading so important?

I know it is. But why? Why does it give kids such a head start? Why is the reason or logic behind it?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:45 PM on Nov. 12, 2010 in General Parenting

• I am just speechless........if you don't know,then I ....well, I am speechless.
    kerp1960

Answer by kerp1960 at 12:46 PM on Nov. 12, 2010

• Seriously.

I know i'm glad that I can read the bathroom signs when I have to go, and there's no signs with a dress/pants. Oh, I'm also glad I can read the "Do not enter" signs driving on the high way I'm still alive thanks do that.
    Chell.o_0

Answer by Chell.o_0 at 12:51 PM on Nov. 12, 2010

• Just one article of many....................

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/632031/why_reading_is_the_most_important_thing.html?cat=25
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 12:52 PM on Nov. 12, 2010

• Being read to increases the language a child hears, which increases their vocabulary. It introduces new concepts, new ways of thinking about things. It's a great way to spend some quality time with your child. Being read to creates a desire in them to want to learn to read themselves the the more they read, the more they learn.

Answer by missanc at 12:52 PM on Nov. 12, 2010

• It's the foundation of learning.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 12:56 PM on Nov. 12, 2010

• Good readers will be smarter kids. Smarter kids generally make better choices because they have more choices. I made sure I taught all my kids to read before they entered kindergarten. As a family, we do not really watch TV, we read. My kids read daily, sometimes for hours. They are all doing great in school (two in high school, one in gradeschool). Reading can take a child on an adventure anytime, to anywhere. I could go on and on. Giving your child the gift of reading, and nurturing (encouraging) that gift is one of the best things you can ever do for your child. Hope that helps.
    MidwestMama55

Answer by MidwestMama55 at 12:57 PM on Nov. 12, 2010

• Reading is fun, adventures and open the door to the world.
    bratgirln1

Answer by bratgirln1 at 1:45 PM on Nov. 12, 2010

• Every single text book your child has will have words in it. Reading is the basis for all of other learning.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 4:06 PM on Nov. 12, 2010