Do they test babies to see if they carry a disease trait?

My husband carries the trait for Sickle Cell Anemia but he doesn't have it and I don't have the trait at all so I know there is a 25% chance that our son carries the trait and even though it won't be an issue until he has kids do they still test for it??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:27 AM on Nov. 3, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• doubtful unless asked to do so
    bubblycute

Answer by bubblycute at 12:28 AM on Nov. 3, 2008

• only if he asks for testing when he's older.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:31 AM on Nov. 3, 2008

• My son was tested positive as soon as he was born for sickle cell trait.
    babycakes254

Answer by babycakes254 at 12:41 AM on Nov. 3, 2008

• It depends on the state you live in. Different states test for different things in newborns. www.marchofdimes.com can give you a list of what your state tests for.

Other than that, your doctor can test him.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 1:04 AM on Nov. 3, 2008

• Yes, they do test for that. They do not do it in the hospital, but my pedi did it at her first follow up. I didn't even know until the results came that they tested for it. It doesn't hurt to ask. Out of my husbands three kids (my two and my stepson) only one carries the trait from him.
    janie-o

Answer by janie-o at 5:51 AM on Nov. 3, 2008

• It depends on where you live. If genetic testing was not performed at birth, it's possible you can have it done at a later date. It's something definitely you would want to know in the future. A neat fact though, there is a benefit to being a heterozygous carrier of the sickle cell allel, those with a single or double allel (double allel being an affected carrier, single being unaffected) are immune to malaria.
    Anonymous