Is it ok to freeze then thaw and then refreeze beef?

I have a package of 4 pounds of beef which I need for 4 separate meals next week. The problem is the beef is frozen in the freezer. Would it be ok to thaw it out and then divide the package into 4 baggies and then put three of those baggies back into the freezer so they will stay fresh and the use the third? Lol I grew up vegetarian so I have no idea.

mommytoJames512

Asked by mommytoJames512 at 1:03 PM on Nov. 12, 2010 in Food & Drink

• I'm sorry, but all these answers you've received are incorrect. It is absolutely safe to refreeze meat - most of the meat you buy at the store and take home to freeze has already been frozen before you bought it, and thawed for the display case. Here's the USDA guideline:
    Once food is thawed in the refrigerator, it is safe to refreeze it without cooking, although there may be a loss of quality due to the moisture lost through thawing. After cooking raw foods which were previously frozen, it is safe to freeze the cooked foods. If previously cooked foods are thawed in the refrigerator, you may refreeze the unused portion. Freeze leftovers within 3-4 days. Do not refreeze any foods left outside the refrigerator longer than 2 hours; 1 hour in temperatures above 90 °F.

If you purchase previously frozen meat, poultry or fish at a retail store, you can refreeze if it has been handled properly. http://www.fsis.usda.gov/
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 1:39 PM on Nov. 12, 2010

• Four days in the fridge is pushing it. Why not just cook it all and then divide it. If you are doing a meatloaf or something like that make that the first meal and then cook the leftover hamburger for the other meals.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 1:17 PM on Nov. 12, 2010

• Darn it.
    mommytoJames512

Comment by mommytoJames512 (original poster) at 1:05 PM on Nov. 12, 2010

• I don't want to waste all that meat. Can I just put it in the fridge and let it thaw and then use it within four days? Like a pound of beef a night until its gone?
    mommytoJames512

Comment by mommytoJames512 (original poster) at 1:09 PM on Nov. 12, 2010

• Thaw it, cook it all up, drain it, cool it, divide it in 4, then freeze it.
    Anonymous

• no, not without cooking them first
    ballewal

Answer by ballewal at 1:04 PM on Nov. 12, 2010

• Yeah...u have to cook it first.
    ShouldHaveLeft

Answer by ShouldHaveLeft at 1:07 PM on Nov. 12, 2010

• No you need to cook it first.
    Cassandre

Answer by Cassandre at 1:29 PM on Nov. 12, 2010

• it will spoil if you do that....however you can cook them, and then refreeze..
    Anna92464

Answer by Anna92464 at 1:31 PM on Nov. 12, 2010