Do you have a Thyroid Problem and want to loose weight but can't?

I have a thyroid problem and I want to loose weight but can't. If I do manage to take off a few pounds it usually comes right back with more to add to it. I would love to loose some weight because I think I would feel better both phyically and mentally. If you do have this problem do you know anything that is suppose to help with weight lost?

SheriesMom

Asked by SheriesMom at 1:07 PM on Nov. 12, 2010 in Health

• dont blame your obesity on the first medical term that comes to mind just stay out of mcdonalds
    Anonymous

• First I would manage my thyroid condition, sounds like hypothyroidism to me, where the body doesn't produce enough of the thyroid hormone, which can include symptoms of chronic fatigue, loss of appetite, intolerance to cold, low body temperature, slow heart rate, easy weight gain, higher cholesterol levels, etc., but see your doctor about it. Some things that I would do to help with hypothyroidism are to take Kelp (apx. 2,000 -3,000 mg./day -also known as sea kelp) it contains iodine which is the basic ingredient in the thyroid hormone, I would also switch to iodized salt. The amino acid, L-Tyrosine can help to boost the plasma levels in the body, which is important because low levels of plasma have been associated with hypothyroidism.... (500mg twice/day). It is also important to take a B-Complex vitamin, which has almost all the b vitamins in it and it helps boost thyroid function. (continued.)
    momof2redhedz

Answer by momof2redhedz at 4:02 PM on Nov. 12, 2010

• I would make sure to include in my diet, thing such as apricots, dates, molasses, egg yolks, parsley, prunes, potatoes, raw seeds, whole grains, and for my meats I would eat mainly fish or chicken. I would try and avoid or eat in moderation, these foods: broccoli, brussels sprouts, cabbage, kale, mustard greens, peaches, pears, radishes, spinach and turnips, because they could suppress thyroid function. I would avoid all processed and refined foods, including both flour and sugar. I would avoid flouride wherever I found it, whether in toothpaste or in water... fluoride and chlorine block iodine receptors in the thyroid... which reduces the level of thyroid hormone... also once I got my thyroid condition under control, I would exercise, stop dieting in the traditional american sense, and just eat healthy... dieting in that sense is where you restrict certain foods from your normal food intake for a limited amount (continued)
    momof2redhedz

Answer by momof2redhedz at 4:15 PM on Nov. 12, 2010

• of time... because your body goes into "starvation mode" and lives "off the fat of the land..." aka your fat, but as soon as you stop dieting, your body grabs it back and a little more just in case another time of "starvation" comes and maybe the next one might be longer in your body's opinion. Plus since we are women, our bodies hold onto fat tighter just in case in one of those starvation times we need to feed us and a little one... So if we just eat healthy and regularly, and stop dieting, our bodies would think... "ok... it's a time of plenty.... we don't have to hold onto this layer of fat right now, because we know there is no starvation time coming up any time soon." I would also increase my water intake and exercise regularly and switch it up on my body so it doesnt develop muscle memory and I hit a plateau in weight loss, hope this helps!
    momof2redhedz

Answer by momof2redhedz at 4:22 PM on Nov. 12, 2010

• It seriously is hard to lose weight with hypothyroidism. Some people gain a lot of weight for no reason and don't know they have hypothyroidism until they get a blood test. When mine was out of whack, I was going through the same thing. For every pound I lost, there were five creeping up on me. Even with exercise and dietary changes, I was the only person who could do 50 laps in a pool and not lose a pound. My problem was pregnancy induced and it went away but I had a TSH of 37 and didn't even know I had thyroid problems until I went in for depression and the doctor ordered a slew of labs.

Momof2redhedz has good advice.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 5:05 PM on Nov. 12, 2010