Do you believe "common sense " is taught or is one born with it?

Maybe taught is not the right expression here. Does one pick it up in childhood when interacting socially? I 've heard people say "she/he are extremely intellegent but they have no common sense." I have never had a successful long term relationship. I take the responsibility for it. Does it mean I have no common sense? I just can't seem to get along with folks on a personal level long term. {the exception is my children whom I unconditionally love. } I've never met a stupid person in my life, So that's not the problem. I just don't seem to process thoughts the same way people in my world seem to. Oh well crazy is a lable I can live with!! LOL

KISS1224

Asked by KISS1224 at 1:14 PM on Nov. 12, 2010 in Relationships

• Taught. Instincts we're born with, but "common sense" is a way of thinking that one learns thru their environment/experiences.
    jessicarae787

Answer by jessicarae787 at 1:19 PM on Nov. 12, 2010

• its definatly not instinct.
    cassie_m

Answer by cassie_m at 1:21 PM on Nov. 12, 2010

• IDK, my mom always says that i was born with common sense & that my sister was born with book smarts. Which is kind of true. She scored way beyond genius level, skipped a grade & was offfered full scholarships to many great schools. BUT, she cannot keep a friendhsip, she does not know how to socialize or deal with life situations, her personal skills suck & she is constantly paranoid over nothing...she can barely function properly without her husband. She really has no common sense, yet we were raised by the same parents. I on the other hand, had to work pretty hard just to get into college....But, i think that i have pretty good common sense.

I think that one can learn common sense throughout life's challenges, but i also think that some can be born with it. Just like some people are naturally great musicians since a young age, while others have to learn to get real good.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 1:21 PM on Nov. 12, 2010

• It is a natural thing that we have the ability to use from the start. However, sometimes it does need to be instilled in the child/adult. Just as anything we know more then we're capable of verbalizing or utilizing when we're born. Therefore, we're taught how to use it and how to utilize it.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 1:21 PM on Nov. 12, 2010

• Well IDK but I think some people just naturally have common sense but others have to be taught to have it. I have met a few people in my life that didn't seem to have any sense at all. My husband and I use to work for a guy and he would send us to do some thing and we would call and tell him what we did, and he would say what you mean, how did you do that? I mean we would tell him as if we was talking to a child and he just didn't get it, he didn't have a lick of common sense, but thought he knew it all.
    SheriesMom

Answer by SheriesMom at 1:24 PM on Nov. 12, 2010

• i believe that people can be born with certain advantages & i believe common sense can be one of them. All our brains are different & function better in different areas. Some people are naturally great artists, while others are naturally great writers & story tellers. Some peopIe might naturally know what to do in a stressful situation, while someone else might not. I don't believe we learn everything from our parents. I think we pick up a lot from them, but i also believe that people are born with natural abilities that differ from one another. Genetics play a role, but genetics is not the same as learning behaviors from family.

The part of your brain that controls common sense just may work better in some individuals than it does in others.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 1:29 PM on Nov. 12, 2010

• It's taught .
    duckigrrl

Answer by duckigrrl at 1:31 PM on Nov. 12, 2010

• Common sense is not so common. It's taught.
    isabellalecour

Answer by isabellalecour at 1:32 PM on Nov. 12, 2010

• It's not you it's everyone else. You just haven't met anyone yet who reacts like you do. You just have to get out more and talk to strangers. OOOh scary isn't? I would say that you're shy.
    depressedmom65

Answer by depressedmom65 at 2:02 PM on Nov. 12, 2010

• I think you are born with some common sense and the rest you are taught in life
    fallenangel12

Answer by fallenangel12 at 2:27 PM on Nov. 12, 2010