what questions do you ask when you are picking a Pediatrician?

I'm meeting one today, but b/c she's so busy I'm meeting with the nurse not her. Do you usually meet with the doc? That's like a bad sign to me, but my ob recg her to me. Around my area are not that many/I'm not sure of them. How do you pick your Pedictrician

Amy2079

Asked by Amy2079 at 1:19 PM on Nov. 12, 2010 in General Parenting

• Do they answer the phone when you call or is the practice so big there is an automated system?
    -Are you okay with that?
    What is their weekend plan.
    -are they open on sat for sick patients
    -is there a doctor on call or are you referred to another office
    WHat is the average time needed to make a an appt. with a specific doctor?
    Is there a doctor in the office assigned strictly to call in sick visits or are sick kids 'worked in'
    If it is a single Doctor practice: How are vacations handled?
    Does the office support your views on breast feeding/formula feeding and vaccines?
    What is the average wait time once you arrive for your appt.

But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 1:25 PM on Nov. 12, 2010

• IMO your pediatrician should be able to see a sick child the same day. They should also have a separate waiting area for sick children. I also would be leery that the doctor can't make the time to meet a potential new patient. I would insist on meeting the doctor. If he/she can't make time for you now, will he/she be willing to listen to your concerns and questions once you are a patient.
    hootie826

Answer by hootie826 at 1:36 PM on Nov. 12, 2010

• I never met with a doctor at my practice called and spoke on the phone with a nurse for probably 20 min or so. The doctor are busy seeing patients. And don't want to block of time for sick children to meet with parents when the nurses can answer all the same questions. You should be happy the doctor is putting the kids first. I agree with a ll of the concerns already brought up.
    Anonymous

• If I couldn't meet with the doctor, I would find a different one. If you're going to be breastfeeding, contact your local La Leche League and ask for breastfeeding friendly pediatrician's. A lot of times the pediatrician can ruin the breastfeeding relationship if the mom hasn't armed herself with breastfeeding knowledge ahead of time. You should be able to find Baby 411 in your library and in it they have some good questions to ask when interviewing doctors.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 2:45 PM on Nov. 12, 2010

• Are there certain times available for sick visits? Do they have after hours for sick patients? How quickly can you get in for an app? What are the dr views on medication-do they push it or only prescribe if necessary?
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 3:27 PM on Nov. 12, 2010

• I kind of agree in a way that I would rather my doctor be booking there time with sick kids rather than with potential clients. I met mine for about 30 seconds so she could say hello but the 'interview' it's self was with a nurse in the practice. I am very happy with the office and they spend plenty of time with my child and I am happy with the office. I also caught a few people in the parking lot and asked them about their experiences there.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 3:49 PM on Nov. 12, 2010