Bed time routine for a two year old?

Do you have a bedtime routine for your toddler? How can I get my son to sleep on his own without my being in the room? His little brother was born a couple weeks ago and Elijah has been more difficult than usual. Any advice on how I can make things easier for him so that he can sleep on his own?

EJsmom322

Asked by EJsmom322 at 1:20 PM on Nov. 12, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• If you haven't had a routine from the start, it'll be harder to get him used to one now, especially with a little brother in the picture, but the main thing is CONSISTENCY. No matter what, stick to the same routine every night.

My 2 year old is the easiest child to get to bed ever (thankfully). He gets his last drink (warm milk, he loves it, and it kind of makes him drowsy) around 7pm. Then he usually watches an episode of Yo Gabba Gabba, or whatever other program he wants. After that, he gets a bath, and by 8:30pm, it's bed time. We tuck him in, kiss him goodnight, and he's down till the next morning.

Just remember, do the same things the same way, every night. Eventually, he'll get the hang of it. Good luck!
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 1:38 PM on Nov. 12, 2010

• I have a 5, 7, and 9 year old. I make them about 7:30 get in pjs, brush their teeth, and then they get into bed and use a lamp and read a book till bed at 8pm. Same thing on weekend but can stay put a little longer. You can even get into bed with them and read to them a book. My 5 year can not read so she likes a head set with music and helps blocks the noise from her sisters and even the tv. Cause when hear things from their bed they think they are missing something. Just be sure to hug and kiss everynight and maybe let your toddler know they are nothing missing anything special. EVen baby brother in bed. Maybe with new brother around try little treasures under their pillow for a morning treat. Here's to a new special bed time routine for you.
    momindiana

Answer by momindiana at 1:57 PM on Nov. 12, 2010

• When mine were 2 i had the routeine of play eat bath bed, but since you have a new born u have learned that you have to let them feel like they are apart of helping with the lil one i know your nervces about that but it should help
    kat116

Answer by kat116 at 2:16 PM on Nov. 12, 2010