If your child told you they were gay, what would be your response??

If your child came to you and told you they were attracted to people of the same sex, what would be your response? If you think that being gay is wrong for religious reasons, how would this affect your beliefs (ie, do you think your child is going to hell, would you question your faith)? How would you feel about their decision to bring children into a same-sex home? These are your own personal beliefs, so don't be afraid to give an opinion! Please don't post anonymously and bash other moms...

roxy85

Asked by roxy85 at 12:41 AM on Nov. 3, 2008 in General Parenting

• First would be shock - but then, I would wrap my arms around my child and tell them no matter what I love them. I am sorry, but there is nothing more important in this world then the love of a mother for her child in these types of situations - regardless of your beliefs
    AndreaRUJuiced

Answer by AndreaRUJuiced at 12:44 AM on Nov. 3, 2008

• I think it would depend on how old they were when they told me. If he was an adult or pretty close, ok, I can deal with that, I might be able to work with it. Rest of the family, who knows. If he was like 12 and tells me this, I don't think it's possible for a kid to understand homosexuality that young. I'd try to blow it off w/o offending him.
    rlemde

Answer by rlemde at 12:46 AM on Nov. 3, 2008

• I can kinda see the age thing being an issue, however I was 14 when I had my first girlfriend. And that leads me into my answer. I am bi. My family was very supportive. I would easily be there for my child and have no worries about how the rest of the family would react. In all fairness, for some reason, it is easier to accept a gay girl than a gay boy though. So perhaps my son would catch some heat from his grandpas, but other than that, I think it would be an easy situation to handle.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 12:52 AM on Nov. 3, 2008

• i would tell them their sexuality is their own and i love them jsut the same.
    chyna_doll

Answer by chyna_doll at 12:54 AM on Nov. 3, 2008

• I would pray and pray for him/her and take them to an exorcism so the gay demon can get out of him/her. I wouldn't want my son/daughter to go to hell because of being gay, so I would try my best to change that.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:08 AM on Nov. 3, 2008

• I was ten when I had my first "boyfriend" (ie, boy i the neighborhood I thought was cute). I don't think it is different for people who are attracted to the same sex.

If my daughter decided she was gay it would not phase me. I would try and support who in whatever way she needed me.
    jcsscfam5

Answer by jcsscfam5 at 1:19 AM on Nov. 3, 2008

• I would tell my child that I loved them and give them a big hug - that's it.

Anon - how do you equate being gay with having a demon inside you? You can't magically turn someone straight.
    nightwillow

Answer by nightwillow at 1:52 AM on Nov. 3, 2008

• I would be fine with it really. I will love and support them no matter what. I get ALOT of shit about my son's godfather being gay.. But oh well .. I know if something were to ever happen to my husband and myself that he would be VERY WELL taken care of!
    MommatoKage

Answer by MommatoKage at 2:09 AM on Nov. 3, 2008

• I personally think that people are born gay, I mean who in their right mind would choose to be ridiculed and made fun of their entire life?? Anyway, if my child told me she was gay, id accept her. I dont think there is anything wrong with being gay, as long as the person is happy, as they have the right to be, then there should be no problem.
    Mommy_of_two_85

Answer by Mommy_of_two_85 at 5:23 AM on Nov. 3, 2008

• Gay demon? Oh, please.

It would not change a thing for us. Not one bit. Since we have gay friends and family members, homosexuality is neither alien nor feared in our house.

Answer by gdiamante at 5:23 AM on Nov. 3, 2008