"natural" birth question..

hi, i have a big issue on using medication.. i am pretty tough but i wanna kno, is giving birth (completely natural) enjoyable? i really am against epidurals and any kind of meds even through an iv.. as of right now i am wanting to do it completely without meds but am nervous ill give in because the pain(which i dont want).. if youve done it please help me out!!! thanks

1sttimemom2011

Asked by 1sttimemom2011 at 1:26 PM on Nov. 12, 2010 in General Parenting

• I had a completely natural birth with both of my sons. Yes it hurts but its a pain you can tolerate. Don't worry you will be ok just think possitively and it will go well. The pain is more uncomfortable than actual pain, you know what I mean?
    EJsmom322

Answer by EJsmom322 at 1:29 PM on Nov. 12, 2010

• Well I thought that I was going to be able to do it without the epidural, but turns out my pain threshold is not that high. I was happy to have my epidural because I got to comfortably enjoy my delivery not to mention miss the extra pain from the extreme tearing I had. But everyone is different with what they can and can't handle. If you tell your doctor and nurses at the hospital that under no circumstance and no matter how you beg that you do not want any drugs then they wont give them to you. I will be honest the contraction I had were not all that painful to me but I spent so many hours in labor at the hospital the worst part was my legs hurt like crazy I couldn't keep them still and I tried Demerol but threw that up right away. I needed to rest so I chose the epidural and it seemed like right after i got it I went from a 4 to 10 in less then and hour. good luck I know you can do it even if I couldn't.
    angelmine2011

Answer by angelmine2011 at 1:33 PM on Nov. 12, 2010

• I was against epidurals til the pain got intollerable and I ended up having a c-sec. I had an unplanned natural vbac after that WORST PAIN EVER!!!! My 3rd I ASKED for a repeat c-sec and hope to do a repeat c-sec this time if I make it to the hospital in time that is...
    405mom

Answer by 405mom at 1:35 PM on Nov. 12, 2010

• I believe it is a really hard question because you don't know what to expect, you don't know how long the labor will be, you don't know a lot of issues. Just be positive and open mind about it. Have both options open, yea it is easy to say that you want to be med free but it can be so painful that you just want the best for you and your baby. When you start labor think that you want make it without meds but if you can't take the pain anymore, ask for meds, no one is going to bash you or you shouldn't feel less of a mom. It is a freaking hard work having a child so don't stress too much about it. Just be open to options!! Good luck
    bratgirln1

Answer by bratgirln1 at 1:35 PM on Nov. 12, 2010

• I've never viewed it as enjoyable. Big Grin   

It was a very different experience I'll never forget. 

musicmom08

Answer by musicmom08 at 1:38 PM on Nov. 12, 2010

• I had natural birth it was not a choice at the time I had some heath reasons that prevented it but to be completely honest it was not that bad... I didnt tear so I did not have much pain other than the contractions. Just felt like bad cramps but I've always had a very high pain threshold.
    bhoward87

Answer by bhoward87 at 1:39 PM on Nov. 12, 2010

• I planned a natural home birth & it was AWESOME! I really didn't think it hurt that bad, I have felt much worse pains from other things in life. PM me if you have any questions!
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 2:07 PM on Nov. 12, 2010

• The pain is only intolerable to those who arent prepared well enough for it. If you're scared, it will hurt more than if you're brave, excited & happy about it. Mind over matter is true....
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 2:08 PM on Nov. 12, 2010

• It definitely was not enjoyable, but I felt like a bad ass when it was all over. Consider getting a midwife or doula. The movie The Business of Being Born is a good one to watch, as well.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 2:38 PM on Nov. 12, 2010

• Both of my LO's were drug free/natural I wouldn't call it a enjoyable but there is ways to get through the pain take classes most hospitals offer them and read up on the method that sounds like it would work for you the most and have a good support team with you either your DH/So,Mom,friend whoever that you find comfort it and will help you through the tough times/ G/L and Congrats!
    liss05

Answer by liss05 at 2:48 PM on Nov. 12, 2010