Sitter on Craigslist...

I have had nothing but success stories from meeting sitters or daycare providers on Craigslist. Some of my girlfriends are having either no responses, not choosing the right person, or just completely scared of Craigslist. I would love to share my ideas and success stories with other mothers. Anyone else having trouble? Maybe having their own success story to share?

MomReinvented

Asked by MomReinvented at 1:27 PM on Nov. 12, 2010 in General Parenting

• I have also purchased many things of of craigslist and am still alive and well... Common sense s key.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 1:32 PM on Nov. 12, 2010

• Craigslist is FULL of scammers I have been using it for awhile now to purchase and sell things its just crazy all the scammer and you cant really tell if its a scam unless you really know internet lingo please becareful.
    bhoward87

Answer by bhoward87 at 1:31 PM on Nov. 12, 2010

• I am a sitter who was founded on CL. I went on to put an ad up for babysitting but I saw an ad for someone lookin for care instead. I decided to answer her ad. Turns out she was pregnant at the time and was looking for someone to watch her newborn. I too was pregnant, a few weeks ahead of her. We chatted and became really close. Our babies were born 1 month of each other and I babysit hers as she works. We both enjoy the arrangement and it looks like our girls will grow up together as great friends.
    keisha613

Answer by keisha613 at 1:36 PM on Nov. 12, 2010

• craigslist is a trap for people to get robbed and killed
    Anonymous

• Found my sitter on Craigslist. I put up an ad requesting child care for my daughter and the hours I needed it and the amount I was willing to pay. I got about 10 responses. I email 4 of them back. Set up a phone interview with 2 from that and a home interview with 1 of those. I met her in her home 2 times. checked her references and started her the next Monday. She has been our sitter for about a year and a half now.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 1:31 PM on Nov. 12, 2010

• Suggest care.com and sittercity.com to your friends as other places to try.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 1:36 PM on Nov. 12, 2010

• I would be a little leary of craigslist for every success story Im sure there is a tragedy too, whether it is a scam or worse. Be careful.
    bellsandheels

Answer by bellsandheels at 1:36 PM on Nov. 12, 2010

• I've sold and purchased things on craigslist. BUT locally a woman hired a babysitter from craigslist a few months ago and that sitter was caught driving drunk with those kids in the car...thankfully the idiot went into a Family Dollar store and the employees called the police and stopped her before driving off any further
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 1:38 PM on Nov. 12, 2010

• I posted an ad on craigslist to be a baby sitter but as I thought most people I guess didnt want to take a chance. Which I completley understand. So yeah! I would be too scared too.
    beachbabewdj08

Answer by beachbabewdj08 at 2:51 PM on Nov. 12, 2010

• honestly i was scared when i sold the old baby stuff on craigslist to meet the buyers. i cannot imagine that i would hire a sitter from there!
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 5:27 PM on Nov. 12, 2010