What spices do you use in your meatloaf?

Love meatloaf. Do ya use bread crumbs? what are some secrets you have that you are willing to share.

sarasmommy777

Asked by sarasmommy777 at 1:27 PM on Nov. 12, 2010 in Food & Drink

• We used this recipe for over 20 years in my restaurant. It was one of our best selling meals. I've reduced it down to family size.
    Meatloaf
    ½ cup Quick Oats (not instant)
    ½ cup ketchup
    1 large egg, slightly beaten
    ½ cup green pepper, finely diced
    ½ cup celery, finely diced
    ½ cup onion, finely diced
    couple dashes Worstershire
    couple dashes soy sauce
    1 tsp Lawrey’s seasoning salt
    freshly ground black pepper
    1 lb ground chuck

Mix all ingredients except meat. Then mix in meat. (I use plastic gloves for this). Form into an oval loaf on a baking sheet lined with aluminum foil. Wet hands and smooth over the meat. This seems to help it hold together. Top with about ½ cup ketchup. Bake at 375 for 45 minutes.
    This can also be baked in a loaf pan, but on a baking sheet pan the grease seems to drain out much better.
    SweetLuci

Answer by SweetLuci at 3:20 PM on Nov. 12, 2010

• 1 - 1.5 lbs ground beef
    1 small chopped onion
    3/4 cup instant oats
    small amount of garlic
    seasoning to taste
    1 can sweetened condensed milk

Mix all these ingrediants together into a loaf. Put in a 375 degree oven.

Sauce
    equal parts ketchup and worcheshire sauce add sugar and water to make like a bbq tasting sauce

After the beef has browned in the oven add the sauce. Cook till done in center. Usually an hour.

This all kids eat and even my picky husband likes this moist delicious meatloaf......
    Yummy.
    navyjen

Answer by navyjen at 1:28 PM on Nov. 12, 2010

• Garlic powder, salt, pepper, parsley flakes, a touch of oregano, and onion flakes.
    twinkletoes0408

Answer by twinkletoes0408 at 1:29 PM on Nov. 12, 2010

• funny you ask, i made meatloaf last night =)

i switch it up everytime i make it and always eyeball everything. i like it to turn out differently each time, but it always comes out good!

last night, i used breadcrumbs, S&P, onion & garlic powder, one egg, a1 steak sauce, and shredded cheese. i made a red sauce that consisted of mostly ketchup, a little mustard, and a little brown sugar and baked it on top of the meatloaf. it was a hit =)

sometimes i'll add ketchup to it instead of steak sauce, bbq sauce instead of ketchup, things like that.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 1:30 PM on Nov. 12, 2010

• I use what I have on hand....that's the beauty of meatloaf...I've used oatmeal, breadcrumbs, crushed crackers...instead of spices it is convenient to use a tablespoon of italian dressing, or italian breadcrumbs...I usually add garlic powder because I like it.....catsup or bbq sauce for flavor is a favorite at my house...someone i know uses a1 steak sauce but I don't really like that...
    Anna92464

Answer by Anna92464 at 1:30 PM on Nov. 12, 2010

• I normally use seasoned bread crumbs, but I've also used saltines and had good results. As far as spices, I use salt, pepper, dehydrated onion, garlic powder, and worcestershire. Other ingredients are ground beef, egg, and tomato sauce. I sometimes use ketchup because of the kids.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 1:34 PM on Nov. 12, 2010

• garlic powder (i find that powder works better than fresh garlic, i always use fresh until i ran out)
    onions powder
    paprika
    sometimes i'll put red pepper flakes in it if i'm feelin spicy
    black pepper
    salt
    a bit of brown sugar

I have a secret ingredient though & you'll think I'm crazy....but i have won TWO competitions at my work with this one ingredient....

CINNAMON!

No joke! No one knows it's in there, but they keep asking me "Gosh, what is it that seperated yours from everybody else's?" I never tell them, because i find that when i tell people i used cinnamon, they get weird. But, if they don't know it's in there...they LOVE IT! Dh does not know i put cinnamon in it...LOL! He tells everybody that i make the best, yet he still doesn't know my secret!

I put about 1/4 teaspoon in it. If you liked it, you could add more the next time.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 1:35 PM on Nov. 12, 2010

• Italian breadcrumbs, dry onion, garlic powder, a little seasoning salt, and a little parmesan cheese. I also add egg and ketchup or tomato sauce.
    jessicarae787

Answer by jessicarae787 at 1:35 PM on Nov. 12, 2010

• I use oatmeal also. And i also mix pork & beef together. DH likes it when i mix BBQ & ketchup for the topping.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 1:36 PM on Nov. 12, 2010

• Best recipe we've found, and we literally have dozens that we've accumulated over the years.

NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 1:36 PM on Nov. 12, 2010