At what age would you feel safe leaving your baby at a home day care?

I wish I could afford private day care but I can't. I've been a SAHM for 4 months but I need to start going back full time. I don't know if I feel safe leaving my baby at a stranger's house yet...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:02 AM on Nov. 3, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• never
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:09 AM on Nov. 3, 2008

• until they can talk and tell u if any other kid was fighting with him/her.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:11 AM on Nov. 3, 2008

• Do check out the article The Critical Importance of Mothering by Dr. Elliot Barker. www.naturalchild.com/elliott_barker/mothering.html ... I was a private preschool teacher for 4 to 5 year olds, and sometimes I got calls from mothers who had a 2 or 3 year old they wanted to enroll. I would ask them why? And I would encourage them to put off daycare until the age of 4. ... So, is it entirely necessary that you leave your baby for hours at a time when still so young? Think of it like this - although the baby separated from your body, you are still completely connected in your vitality. Your presence is as comforting as warmth, your absence is as painful as chill and causes uneasiness which grows to fear the longer baby is separated from you. ... (cont'd)
    waldorfmom

Answer by waldorfmom at 3:11 AM on Nov. 3, 2008

• (cont'd) ...When our 3rd child came along, we owned our home. But to keep it I would have to work full time as well as him. So we sold our house and found a place to rent in order that I could be a stay-at-home mom. I understand it can be difficult to radically change your expectations of yourself or your idea of what you do with your time, but please look into the above article so that you at least understand the consequences of, well, how will your 4 month-old experience it? Even 4 YEAR-old children have a hard time comforting themselves with the thought that mommy will be back after the eternity of 4 or 5 hours. And your child is too young to do that, he or she can only suffer and endure while you are away ... repeatedly. sigh, America's lack of support for babies' mothers is criminal - no mother should face the financial necessity of abandoning her baby.
    waldorfmom

Answer by waldorfmom at 3:12 AM on Nov. 3, 2008

• this is one of the rewasons why i am a saty at home mom, i would say i wouldnt let my DS stay at an in home one until he was2-3 and a regular daycare around 1 years old.to much crazy stuff happens and its not gunna happen to my son
    ldc90

Answer by ldc90 at 5:09 AM on Nov. 3, 2008

• I put my girls as young as age 2. My daughter at that age was very social and was really a much happier baby to go to her morning 2 hr preschool. She behaved much better at home. If you really have to put this in sooner and I did have to from time to time. Watch closely even in early infant hood you can tell if things aren't right at your day care. Always follow your intuition from the first moment you feel it.
    peppermintkathy

Answer by peppermintkathy at 8:27 AM on Nov. 3, 2008

• OMG, this poor woman came on here asking some advice, so you all just scared the crap outta her!! In this day and age we cannot all afford to be stay at home moms, and quite frankly- not all moms WANT to be a stay at home mom.

My baby went into an in-home daycare at three months. She is now 7 1/2 months, and doing fine. She is happy, healthy and just a joy. Its particularly hard because of our commute, she is in daycare 10-12 hours a day, Monday-Friday. We are moving her to a center starting next month, as it is closer to home and she will be grouped with more kids her age.

If I had it my way, I'd work 3 days a week, and be home with babe the other 4, but we cannot afford this.

Do what is good for you and your family. Dont settle for someplace if you dont feel comfortable with them. It'll work out. S.
    ZoeKatsMom

Answer by ZoeKatsMom at 2:38 PM on Nov. 3, 2008

• I had the hardest time with this. We had her in a daycare center, and it was horrible. It was supposed to be the best (and the most expensive) in the area... The teachers were horrible, they would lose bottles, and I saw one of them pick up a baby by his hands... Thats when we left. She now stays with our next door neighbor. Its only been a week or so, but things seem to be going great!
    LovinMyMikayla

Answer by LovinMyMikayla at 2:56 PM on Nov. 3, 2008