Me my husband and 3 month are flying next week is there anything I need to know with a 3 month old?

1Lilly

Asked by 1Lilly at 1:07 AM on Nov. 3, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• How long is the flight? Keep a carry on bag full of bottles and formula if you FF. Be sure to have lots of diapers, wipes and a CHANGING PAD. There are lots of germs in enclosed spaces. Keep hand sanitizer on you at all times. Nursing or sucking on a bottle helps keep a baby's ear from hurting due to pressure changes during take off and landings.

Hmmm...that's all I can think of for now.

AvasMommy810

Answer by AvasMommy810 at 1:12 AM on Nov. 3, 2008

• OH! Make sure that your DH knows that he is going to hold the baby as well. Your arms will get tired of carrying a baby for long time periods. Invest in a good baby sling or chest carrier...they work wonders. If you have the extra money, it is worth the price to buy an extra seat for your baby and a car seat if there is room on the plane and the flight is longer than 5 hours or so.

AvasMommy810

Answer by AvasMommy810 at 1:16 AM on Nov. 3, 2008

• I'm flying with my 3 month old in a few weeks too! Hopefully our flights will go smooth lol. My question is...where the hell do you change a baby on a plane? The bathrooms are so small and I don't think I've ever seen a changing table.
    jessicarae787

Answer by jessicarae787 at 1:22 AM on Nov. 3, 2008

• ^^^In the bathroom on the floor (that's why I said to be sure to carry a changing pad)...or in the sink. I gave my daughter short "baths" from the waist down instead of baby wipes. It took longer but it was more convenient. I didn't have to bend over in that little, tight area or feel bad about laying her on the gross floor.

AvasMommy810

Answer by AvasMommy810 at 2:36 AM on Nov. 3, 2008

• I flew with my daughter at 5 weeks old. The doctor said it was no problem, and their were no special precautions that I needed to take for her health wise.
    As for your own sanity though make sure you have the bottle or pacifier to give when the flight is taking off and landing. I flew with my older daughters, so when I needed to change her I just laid her on my daughters lap. Thankfully it was a short flight and no stinky changes though. I also kept her awake before the flight so she was more likely to sleep on the plane.
    If the flight is not that long - don't overpack a bag for the baby. Just throw what you will need during the flight in your carry on. Less to try to balance while carrying the little one through the airport. You can also use your stroller till you get on the plane, they can check it on the plane and bring it to you when you unboard. Makes the trip through the airport much easier.
    janie-o

Answer by janie-o at 5:47 AM on Nov. 3, 2008

• I just flew with my son. He was 3 months for the first flight and 6 months for the return. He did fine. I just nursed him for the take off so he would sleep and then I nursed him again for landing. Make sure to pack an extra outfit for your baby in your daiper bag, toys, wipes, extra daipers, formula etc. Over the toilet in the bathroom of the planes that we flew on there were changing tables that dropped down. You can also take your stroller and car seat all the way up to the gate, which is super helpful. They will also bring it back to you as you exit the plane. Good Luck! Just keep in mind what one passenger told me.. If they cry, they cry.. People will just have to get over themselves! And you can't start to freak out because the baby will feel your nervousness.. And this was coming from a male passenger. Loved that guy! =) Good Luck
    Jagsmama

Answer by Jagsmama at 7:30 AM on Nov. 3, 2008