How much do you feed your kids for lunch

My MIL has been giving our son (5) two sandwiches! I think this is too much. How much do you give yours? I guess he eats them, but he says he eats them "because they're so good" not necessarily because he's "so hungry".

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:13 AM on Nov. 3, 2008 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Are we talking small like pb&j or turkey with mayo or big like a club? My SS has been known to eat two sandwiches for lunch since he was about 5 or so. He has a really fast metabolism though. And he doesn't do it everyday. He will eat a sandwich and an apple or some cookies or something like that though. I did get PISSED at his BM once because she refused to let him get up until he finished his "snack" of two corndogs at 3 after he ate lunch of 3 corndogs at noon and was expected to eat dinner at 5:30 here. Yeah, he threw up at about 4 so she brought him early and told us what he had eaten that day. No wonder he got sick, huh?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:26 AM on Nov. 3, 2008

• My one daughter will eat a sandiwich, some carrots and a couple pretzels and either a milk or a juice. My other daughter will eat 1/2 a sandwich, a couple carrots, a couple pretzels and some water.

Holy cow, that's a lotta corn dogs!!
    swrockhead

Answer by swrockhead at 7:15 AM on Nov. 3, 2008

• My DS gets 1 sandwich, a drink, and 2 snacks. My DD eats the hot lunch at school so I am not sure how much she eats. Knowing her she eats almost everything they give her and sometimes more, if it something she likes.

I would try not to worry to much. Just let me know that he does not need to eat everything if he does not want to. Kids are usually pretty good at only eating what they need.

Good Luck
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 7:25 AM on Nov. 3, 2008

• My boys ages 4 and 6 will eat one full sandwhich and usually some fruit and milk with it. There have been days where they are extra hungry and ask for more so I'll make another sandwich and half it. Most kids metabolism should be fast enough to handle two sandwiches and they're usually active enought to burn it off pretty quickly but I wonder why she's feeding them two everyday? Do they want it or does she think they need it? The BM of my boys was feeding them very very small portions apparently because she had some idea that they didn't need a lot of food. Some people have different ideas when it comes to feeding kids. I'd ask her.
    mrswright1170

Answer by mrswright1170 at 12:07 PM on Nov. 3, 2008

• I think 2 sandwiches for a 5 year old is too big a portion size. One sandwich with fruit or veggies is a better example. Maybe he is not drinking enough water, either. Letting him think that eating all of what is in front of him, just because it tastes good, is setting him up for obesity later.
    pinkjeannie311

Answer by pinkjeannie311 at 5:53 PM on Nov. 3, 2008

• my 6 yr old is good with a half a sandwich and then about an hour later a snack, but when she was littler she was eating what a lot of people think would be too much. when she was born i breast fed until she was 1 month, at 1 month i could not keep up with her so i put her on the bottle and she would eat 4-8oz bottles by the time she was 2 months. So i started putting cereal in her bottles and by the time she was 3 months old she was eating 4-8oz bottles again. so i put her on baby food and 3 jars a day. but she was not eating every 2 hours. she was eating 3 meals a day and then bottles for snacks. when she went in to a day care they started feeding her too much on me and caused her to have a stomach virus. Just cause they eat a lot now does not mean they will have problems later.
    firedragoneyes

Answer by firedragoneyes at 8:06 PM on Nov. 3, 2008

• We are having problems with portion control too. My DD8 would eat 3 servings of breakfast if I let her, won't eat lunch, and then eats more than her dad for dinner! She has a few snacks throughout the day, and she isn't obese. I guess make sure he knows he only has to eat what he wants, and don't worry about it while he is growing. We make the kids finish their vegetables (small servings), but everything else they just have to try.
    sadfairytale

Answer by sadfairytale at 8:11 PM on Nov. 3, 2008

• I usually give my 5 and 7 yr old half a peanut butter sandwich, glass of milk, bananna and about 6 baby carrots each.

Is she just giving him 2 sandwiches....or is that in addition to "side" items?

Does your MIL watch him a lot? If not, I wouldn't say anything. If its a regular thing though, you or your DH need to politely and gently mention to her that you're trying to teach him healthy eating habits and if he's not hungry, to not encourage him to over eat.
    MommaLucy

Answer by MommaLucy at 5:43 PM on Nov. 4, 2008