Question for mothers of older children with ADD or ADD tendencies

My son is 2 and has ADD tendencies, this has been brought to my attention already. I know he is extremely high energy and thinking many steps ahead. I have a mental health degree, so it wasn't a shock to hear this. I'm not concerned after all he is a toddler and to me is completely normal. My one concern is his sleeping. He naps well. But at night time he is awake a lot. I'm talking 5x a night some times. Was this a common problem for anyone when their child with ADD was a toddler? My son takes after me with the high energy and such, my mom said I never slept through the night as in a 10 hr stretch until I began kindergarten. I'm hoping he grows out of it. I'm a SAHM, he isn't in daycare. When he gets to be 3 if our finances allow it we do want him to go to a preschool, part time, for the social and educational growth and a learning environment structure. I do a lot with him and his bro all day so boredom isn't an issue.

2BlondeBabies

Asked by 2BlondeBabies at 2:14 PM on Nov. 12, 2010 in General Parenting

• I have ADHD and I see tendencies in my 3 year old also and sleep is still an issue for us as well. WAking anywhere from 2 to 6 times any given night - I work outside the home and it can be very tiring but I worry more about REM sleep, if he is getting enough GOOD rest, he has rings under his eyes but that could be just genetic bags we both have too..
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 2:18 PM on Nov. 12, 2010

• It was the opposite for my ADD son. He would stay up late. It was hard for him to fall asleep. But once asleep he was such a deep sleeper. You can't wake him at all. Like a log. He would fall asleep in the car on the way somewhere when he was under 4. We would carry him in, stay an hour, put him back in his car seat and drive home. And he would never wake up.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 2:23 PM on Nov. 12, 2010

• My daughter has ADHD. She was sleeping through the night by 7 weeks, and we never had problems with her waking during the night. She does have a hard time falling asleep, and when she was younger bedtime was a struggle. She's 14 now and still has a hard time going to sleep, but once sleeping she is impossible to wake.
    TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 2:38 PM on Nov. 12, 2010