Is there such a thing as overfeeding my newborn

Hello all. My son turned 4 weeks yesterday. When he was born he weighed in at 8 pounds 5 pounds, Taking him home he weighed 8 pounds 3 ounces. He got weighed last Thursday and he weighed just over 10 pounds. Doc says he puts on about an ounce a day.
Now all day when he is awake he wants to eat constantly almost every hour and then he doesn't seem satisfied anymore. So do I just keep feeding him to his liking or try other things like baby cereal is that safe at this age? Me and hubby are just kinda worried. He eats 100ml at almost each feeding sometimes.

baybeegurl272

Asked by baybeegurl272 at 2:44 PM on Nov. 12, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• No cereal yet. He is fine. That is not a lot of weight. They should double their birth weight at 3 months. What is his growth percentage? Did it go up? Did the doctor say it was bad to gain an ounce a day? He needs to eat what he wants. He is probably having a growth spurt. Good luck, he sounds fine.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 2:52 PM on Nov. 12, 2010

• he's way too young for baby cereal. try feeding him a little more at each meal? what is he having - breastmilk or formula? when i nursed my son, i was nursing almost every hour cuz the breastmilk would fill him up temporarily and then he'd be starving not long after.
    SweetPieMama24

Answer by SweetPieMama24 at 2:53 PM on Nov. 12, 2010

• there is no such thing as overfeeding a newborn. he will eat if hes hungry, and he will stop when he is not hungry anymore. he is a growing boy! let him eat.
    no you should NOT give him cereal. he is way too young for cereal.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 2:58 PM on Nov. 12, 2010

• No cereal first off...

My son was born at 8lbs 7oz and was the same way. If he was fussy, i would try everything else... like holding him, talking to him, ect and if nothing worked i would feed him. He ate a lot! lol
    BraythansMom

Answer by BraythansMom at 3:39 PM on Nov. 12, 2010

• I figured that with the cereal. I had heard from someone to do that but I figured he was way to young to be doing cereal yet.
    I am feeding him formula (Parents Choice)
    The doc says it's ok that he is gaining this much weight he didn't seem to be to concerned about it.
    Yeah I figured it was fine, My hubby is a little worried about it that's all so i thought i would see what everyones answers were.
    baybeegurl272

Comment by baybeegurl272 (original poster) at 3:41 PM on Nov. 12, 2010

• Yeah I have tried everything. I don't like soothers but it soothes him down for a bit so for now he uses pacifiers.
    baybeegurl272

Comment by baybeegurl272 (original poster) at 3:42 PM on Nov. 12, 2010

• I wouldn't listen to the people that say "Don't give your baby cereal"... My first was on it at 2 weeks and my second was on it at 6 weeks. They are completely healthy and growing. You do what you feel you gotta do.
    Momma72923

Answer by Momma72923 at 5:44 PM on Nov. 12, 2010

• Hunny, dont worry about it. YOU are the mom, do what feels right. Feed the baby when it's hungry =) it's called feeding on demand, you cant go wrong. It's the natural way of life.
    WhitneyMommyOf2

Answer by WhitneyMommyOf2 at 9:07 PM on Nov. 12, 2010