At what age did your kids become too cool for you?

My SS is 7 and I always kiss and hug when I drop him off at school kind of off to the side of the entrance although he says I don't have to. And when he gets out he still comes running to me. However, with BM, if she wants hugs at school, she has to hide behind this tree (Sad I know). I know that my time is coming soon when he will be too cool for me and I was wondering about when this happened with you ladies? I never got too cool for my parents. I distinctly remember running into one of my boyfriends while shopping with my daddy when I was about 15 or so.

Mom1Stepmom1

Asked by Mom1Stepmom1 at 1:37 AM on Nov. 3, 2008 in Just for Fun

• When I was in 9th grade, my dad was leaving for a tour in korea. He was much against taking me and my sisters out of school, so he would take turns bring lunch to us at school. The first day he came, I was so happy! I still am a daddy girl, but where we were walking wasn't exactly wide pathway so I started to walk in front of him, you know leading the way. Well a guy "friend" of mine walks up from the opposite direction, puts his arms around me and leads me to the table. I'm trying to tell him the whole time my dad is behind us but he wasn't going on with some story. We get to the table and he's on one side and my dad on the other side of me and so he leans over and says Who's that? I told him, he could have died, but I loved it. Everyone around me kept asking if I was embarrased b/c of what he did with my dad behind us and i wasn't.
    Crystal1124

Answer by Crystal1124 at 11:10 AM on Nov. 3, 2008

• lol My girls are 5,7 and 8. They line up for hugs and kisses before we even leave the house! The 8 year old insists on walking a good ten feet in front of us all the way to school. The other two will walk with me but if I try to hold their hands I get "the look." Their friends think I'm cool though! Their always saying hi when I run into them at school. Not my children though. It's uncool to be seen with your own mom apparently.
    southenrmunchkn

Answer by southenrmunchkn at 3:23 AM on Nov. 3, 2008

• My two little ones run for the hugs and kisses. While the older ones don't do the hugs and kisses thing, they still are not too cool for me. They are in 9th and 11th grade and still don't mind if I come eat lunch with them once in a while.... as long as I bring food of course. They even still call me "mommy" even in front of their friends, it is never ma or mom.
    janie-o

Answer by janie-o at 5:32 AM on Nov. 3, 2008

• I've inevitably realized that my daughter will always be cooler than me, no matter what I do.

Thing is, I'm still pregnant with her xP
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 9:59 AM on Nov. 3, 2008

• We're not there yet. DD is 8 1/2 and still takes a hug and kiss in front of everyone at school. She even shouts "Bye, I love you!" for all to hear.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 10:13 AM on Nov. 3, 2008

• All my kids still give he hugs and kisses when I drop them off they are 12,11,8,and 6 even around school or friends but my Bestest buddy's son wants nothing to do with her around anybody else and hes been that way since the first day of kindergarten ....I think it comes down to what they learn from you ...or maybe its different for each kiddo
    koolest_mom_of4

Answer by koolest_mom_of4 at 10:22 AM on Nov. 3, 2008

• My son was probably about 9 when he stopped letting me kiss and hug him goodbye in public but would allow it at home until he was about 13 and then he became too cool for any of it. Now he's 17 and I'm lucky if I get a "Good morning" out of him.
    mrswright1170

Answer by mrswright1170 at 11:45 AM on Nov. 3, 2008