Do you think that since unemployment benefits are about to expire, people who have been collecting will be willing to take any job?

And what will this do to the unemployment rate?

SweetLuci

Asked by SweetLuci at 2:57 PM on Nov. 12, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• In all honesty, I think the problem with those who have been unemployed for 1-2 years is they are either highly specialized in their field or have limited marketable skills and/or special certifications/licenses.

Like Mom2Just1 said there are a number of teaching and teacher's aides positions available, but no one has applied...since you need at minimum a college degree to be a teacher's aide, and your teaching certification to be a teacher, plus a clean criminal background, right there that eliminates a lot of potential candidates.

Whereas, those that haven't kept up with the pace of technology/computer illiterate, lack multi-tasking skills, aren't professional in their attitude, attire, and aptitude (ability to learn quickly), are going to find themselves passed over for those who ARE willing to learn, grow, change, accept new responsibilities, think outside the box, and start over if need be!

JMHO!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 4:26 PM on Nov. 12, 2010

• anon 1, what part of 1 job for every 5 job seekers are you not getting?
    autodidact

Answer by autodidact at 3:30 PM on Nov. 12, 2010

• I don't think most of them aren't willing to find a job. My DH has been on unemployment since Nov. 09. He's been putting in every application he can for over a year, min. wage, part time, seasonal work... He doesn't care, the applications go in... None call him back. Applications go out - Calls don't come in... It's not about not wanting to work, or being willing to just sit and collect, it's about not have the option to work. And honestly, our area doesn't have a bad UE rate, in fact the last time I looked it was about 5%, we never went over 6% even at the worst... But for those without a job, finding one isn't as easy as just picking up the phone... My DH puts in full days looking for work, if the jobs aren't there, they aren't there...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 3:03 PM on Nov. 12, 2010

• Sabrina, I agree. I was talking to my DH about this a while back, because he is a manager, and he turned down some applications because they were "overqualified". I didn't realize you can be too smart or too experienced for a job. I hope your hubby finds something soon.
    brandyj

Answer by brandyj at 3:44 PM on Nov. 12, 2010

• Sabrina, my dh experienced the same thing. 100's of applications went out every week and very few calls or interviews coming in. He was on unemployment for 2 years and wanted desperately to work. He finally landed a part time job which is better than nothing. He was climbing the walls with boredom. One thing we noticed here, the local supermarkets hired 50 year old men to do their bagging.
    Anonymous

• Crime has gone down?? Are you freaking kidding me anon?! You need to read the newspaper... Crime where I live has increased and people are doing anything to survive. It's not doom and gloom IT'S FACT. If you have a job, you should shut your trap. Robbers are stealing dogs to sell, they're that desperate!
    Anonymous

• Some yes. I know in my state...there are jobs. When my dh was unemployed he took any job until something stable came along in his field. I know right now there are 15 teaching positions open that people have yet to bid on. There are hiring everywhere for the holidays, schools, preschools,etc. My son needs an extra teacher aid and teacher but the job posted back in June and no one came in.
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 3:40 PM on Nov. 12, 2010

• My dh has been looking for work for about 5 months. He finally got a job today in a warehouse that is doing major hiring for the holiday season. It's a $5 an hour paycut from what he was making but lots of overtime. And possibly longer than seasonal work. Beggers can't be choosers. I'm thrilled.
    Anonymous

• No. If a job doesn't pay enough to cover living expenses and child care they might as well not take it. Families will be forced on to welfare.

People aren't not getting jobs because they are being too picky...they aren't getting jobs because there aren't jobs available that pay a living wage.
    UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 3:03 PM on Nov. 12, 2010

• "People aren't not getting jobs because they are being too picky...they aren't getting jobs because there aren't jobs available that pay a living wage."

I believe your statement is a contradiction..
    yes you are right, there are fewer jobs that offer livable wages.. BUT by turning down an opportunity for employment of ANY kind you are infact being "picky". Not saying you shouldn't have the right to be a bit picky, but where there is work you should take it. It may mean resulting in cutting back at home, and taking a second job, but that's life. You gotta do what you gotta do as they say.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 5:04 PM on Nov. 12, 2010