Would you give your son up if you were living in a dump and had no family u could trust?

I am curious who would and why or why they let there child go to foster care.

connie200993

Asked by connie200993 at 3:04 PM on Nov. 12, 2010 in Parenting Debate

• If i could not provide a safe, healthy home for my child and had exhausted all community resources available to me, i would feel that i had no other choice.
    UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 3:14 PM on Nov. 12, 2010

• Yes, if I couldn't provide Id rather give him up then have him live hungry.
    raisingmen

Answer by raisingmen at 3:05 PM on Nov. 12, 2010

• If I couldn't provide for him and felt he wasn't safe in my current living situation I would do what I had to to make sure he was. It would probably be the hardest thing I'd ever do, and I'd fight every second of every day to make sure he was back with me as soon as possible. Geez, that's making me depressed even thinking about it!!
    jessicarae787

Answer by jessicarae787 at 3:08 PM on Nov. 12, 2010

• Never! My mil lived in the basement of a church one time to escape a bad marriage with my dh when he was an infant. With nothing more than a mattress, hot plate and bagful of clothes and couple of toys. I would never give up my precious children.
    buzymamaof3

Answer by buzymamaof3 at 9:58 PM on Nov. 12, 2010

• it really depends. if he is real small and you dont have hope then i would think about asking the state to help. most states can step in and help out without always taking the child. they have alot more resources at hand than a parent has alone. they can help you get back on your feet. even if he goes to foster care you could ask for a parenting plan and help to get yourself ready to bring him back home. i would not however give up any of my parent rights. i know someone who lost her kids but got them back. the state helped her the whole way. job training job search clothing for her and the kids help with house find and all. sometimes it works and sometimes it doesnt. it depends on the worker you get and how much you push. and the good part is the child is taken care of while you have a chance to get things worked out. if the child is in school i would look into other options and talk 2 my church. there is help you have 2 dig.
    sttawardnas

Answer by sttawardnas at 12:02 AM on Nov. 13, 2010

• I probably wouldn't. I would try to better myself and try to better the situation. Even if it ment going to a shelter or something. I wouldnt be able to give up my kids.
    JakesCupcake

Answer by JakesCupcake at 3:08 PM on Nov. 12, 2010

• Jessica it is my life I gave my oldest up for adoption even thou I tried to get him back.
    connie200993

Comment by connie200993 (original poster) at 3:09 PM on Nov. 12, 2010

• IF I could not provide a safe place. Yes, I would. If I could not provide food for him..yes I would.
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 3:41 PM on Nov. 12, 2010

• I have family, so honestly I'm not sure what I would do if I didn't. I don't think I could give my kid up. I don't think I could let myself get into a position of being in such an unsafe environment that I would have to give them up.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 8:11 PM on Nov. 12, 2010

• Never, I'd do what I had to do to make it work.
    worriedmommy600

Answer by worriedmommy600 at 10:52 PM on Nov. 12, 2010