Are sex scenes really necessary in movies??

For me, just the innuendo is enough. It makes me uncomfortable to have to sit there in a theater, in mixed company, and listen to moaning and groaning. I'm asking because I just saw on The Stir that the director of the upcoming Twilight series movie, Breaking Dawn, is going to have a honeymoon sex scene... that wasn't even in the book. WHY?

brandyj

Asked by brandyj at 3:08 PM on Nov. 12, 2010 in Entertainment

• I don't like it either. I've said to my husband over and over again that I would be much more comfortable if they would just allude to it - we get the point, you know? I've even felt awful because I've seen movies on TV and really liked them, so we bought them, and they ended up having scenes I didn't know about. It honestly ruins movies for me. I don't understand the need for it. And anymore its almost like they have to find any reason they can for nudity. I've been watching before and there would be someone naked when there was absolutely no need for it.

Sex is just something that I see as too intimate and personal to be blasting all over the screen. I don't talk about or show off my sex life, and I really don't want to have to see others "having" sex. I really feel its something that should go back to being private. I hate how its normal for people to see people's bodies in a sexualized way outside of relationships....
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 6:21 PM on Nov. 12, 2010

• Yes, it is because it sells!

Answer by older at 3:09 PM on Nov. 12, 2010

• No..and it's rather old. Seen one sex scene, seem 'em all.
    -AJ

Answer by -AJ at 3:23 PM on Nov. 12, 2010

• I don't like it either. I remember when I was growing up, sitting in a living room watching this type of stuff with my dad and brothers made me so uncomfortable. I still hate sex scenes and usually do not even sit through them anymore. But, as older said, it does sex, unfortunately. That's why porn is such a huge (no pun intended) LOL industry!
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 3:12 PM on Nov. 12, 2010

• No, and they make me uncomfortable, too.....making love is not a spectator sport, I always say, and is private......I use clearplay and rent dvd's most of the time...
    Anna92464

Answer by Anna92464 at 3:32 PM on Nov. 12, 2010

• I don't really like it either. The author of the Twilight Saga left the whole scene out so you could use your imagination. I think some movies could leave the actual sex scene to the viewers imagination. It makes me uncomfortable sometimes too, like when I'm watching a movie with my dad or my mom!
    poptart0325

Answer by poptart0325 at 3:32 PM on Nov. 12, 2010

• it makes me uncomfortable too when other people are watching the movie with me, but in some movies i think it gives it more of an edge to what the characters are feeling for each other.
    BrittanyD07

Answer by BrittanyD07 at 3:21 PM on Nov. 12, 2010

• I don't think they are necessary either........soap operas almost go a bit far as of late too....but they can be tactful without the moaning and groaning and panting and out of breath scenes!

Less is more!!!!!! LOL
    LilyPondOasis

Answer by LilyPondOasis at 4:25 PM on Nov. 12, 2010

• Every single scene/angle/word/character, etc. etc. has a purpose. It gets the director's entire point across and they want to create the biggest effect possible. If it creates a certain emotion it's because the director wanted it too. It's all about the effect. Film is an amazing art to study.
    jessicarae787

Answer by jessicarae787 at 3:13 PM on Nov. 12, 2010

• I went to see Cold Mountain with my grandmother years ago.. and it was a wonderful love story about a woman and man waiting for each other through a war. When they finally reconnected, there was this LOOOOOONG raunchy sex scene, shown from about 10 different angles. It was very uncomfortable.
    Why was it necessary? Why couldn't they just have shown him taking her into his arms, laying her on the bed, and fading out on a kiss? That is romance... the other is porn.
    brandyj

Comment by brandyj (original poster) at 3:22 PM on Nov. 12, 2010