What are some ways to save money on a wedding?

SweetLuci

Asked by SweetLuci at 3:25 PM on Nov. 12, 2010 in Money & Work

• my nephew and wife had a nice, fun wedding on a budget and this is what they did-- they handmade the invitations , they had the wedding outside at a park and had a justice of the peace perform the ceremony, they had a friend sing and another friend played the harp. They bought her flowers and flowers to line the aisle that morning at the farmers market, they had disposable cameras available for anyone who wanted to take pictures. The reception was a picnic/BBQ right at the park. I can honestly say it was one of the best and most fun weddings I had ever been to!
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 3:50 PM on Nov. 12, 2010

• Make your own flower arrangements.
    do a potluck for the dinner rather than cater.
    Pick 1 alcohol and limit how much you buy (no open bar)
    Shop around for the cake...do you really need a 4 tier cake when you will eat 1 tier now and freeze the other. You can save by getting more sheet cakes.
    Have the reception at a local establishement that has a cheaper rate.
    do an outdoor wedding to save on the cost of a chapel.
    Look for an ordained minister rather than a pastor.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 3:28 PM on Nov. 12, 2010

• Keep your guest list very small. Only close family & close friends.
    Keep the wedding party to the bare minimum.
    Design your own invites & RSVP cards & have them printed locally.
    Go light on flowers. Have just a few really nice arrangements & simple bouquets, then use lots of candles.
    Skip having a big catered dinner & have a dessert buffet. ( Even an appetizers only reception will cost as much or more than a full dinner. If you can afford a dinner, go with a buffet as apposed to a sit down, plated dinner.
    Skip the big expense of having alcohol at the reception.
    Do not be afraid to ask for lower prices on things. Everyone will come down on their prices if you just ask. We saved a bundle on everything because I negotiated lower prices on

My daughter just got married last May, & we only spent $7000.00. That included all the extras like a huge buffet dinner, DJ, a photo booth & a specialty coffee, cappuccino & latte bar.
    ghostwriter777

Answer by ghostwriter777 at 3:44 PM on Nov. 12, 2010

• Keep it small, shop around for caterers (we only paid about $25 a head, and it was AWESOME), DON'T get married in June (everything is more expensive, booked, not available, etc). We had our ceremony and reception int he same place (a community center), and we put fabric on the walls to make it look good, we mixed up pomegranate martinis the night before (and had beer and wine as well), and the caterers we hired were cool with pouring our beverages (instead of making us pay for theirs), and the venue was cool with it. It saved us a TON. Shop around for everything. We got an awesome cake by a local baker for about $300. We used Bella Pictures for the photographer (if you want to go professional, they're great, and nationwide). My step brother is ordained and married us, so we didn't have to pay for a minister (ask around, someone will have it or will get it). Buying silverware at Ikea was cheaper than renting it.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 3:54 PM on Nov. 12, 2010

• I did my own music for my wedding. It was all done on iTunes. This saved a ton, but for me it was more about the music. No one ever lives up to my standards on music and I was not about to let some douche bag DJ ruin my wedding music. I created playlists for dinner then playlists for while the kids were around and then one more for "later" when it was all more adult friendly.

I bought a very simple wedding dress off e bay for $50 (alterations ended up being 40 bringing the total to 90), I also did it "pot luck style".
    gypsyjewels

Answer by gypsyjewels at 4:05 PM on Nov. 12, 2010

• I saved a ton on my wedding. My dad paid, and still tells me what a great job I did on keeping costs down. I had the big formal event too.
    I used fake flowers, which saves a TON right there. My ceremony and reception were all held at the same location (outdoor gazebo, and banquet hall on the same grounds), which saved. My DJ, Videographer, and Photographer were from the same company, so I saved on a 3 package deal. I printed my own place cards, and ordered my invites online for a good price, and I made all my own wedding favors.
    KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 12:38 AM on Nov. 13, 2010

• make as much of your own decoarations as possible..borrow things...keep it small...shop resale stores for a dress...
    girliemom0406

Answer by girliemom0406 at 12:33 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• Have a simple wedding with just family and friends, dress simply for it, and have a potluck with homemade cake and icecream at home for a reception.....do any flowers yourself, and have it in a very small church or your home...
    Anna92464

Answer by Anna92464 at 3:28 PM on Nov. 12, 2010

• print your own invites, you can buy kits at Target, Michaels etc. We printed our own invites for $40
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 3:30 PM on Nov. 12, 2010

• I bought my wedding dress at a resale/consignment shop. I saw it in a magazine with a price of over $1,000. I only paid $500! I also made my own centerpieces.
    hootie826

Answer by hootie826 at 3:56 PM on Nov. 12, 2010