S/O of the child who was asked to remove his American flag

What would your reaction be if the Hispanic children were asked to remove their Mexican flags?

Would you be offended? would you think it was racist?

lovinangels

Asked by lovinangels at 3:28 PM on Nov. 12, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• lovin, you are asking 'some' people to acknowledge their double standard.... Hence 4 hours into a question and only 13 answers...
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 8:23 PM on Nov. 12, 2010

• two things:

in answer to OP's original question: no. I'm part irish and hang an irish flag to represent where my family originally came from, BUT I still respect and love the country I grew up in as well (America).

BUT in response to the rebel flag, I find those against it to be against it for ignorant reasons. The symbolism that was behind the rebel flag had to do with politics. Those that twist it to be something ugly about racism, etc, are the ones that are disgusting, not the flag! It would be like the cross.. sure there is a lot of bad things people did that wear a cross, but is the cross itself a bad symbol? NO!
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 4:57 PM on Nov. 12, 2010

• The only flag I find offensive is the Rebel Flag. NO ONE should be asked to deny their religion, their heritage or their patriotism!
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 3:32 PM on Nov. 12, 2010

• I think the same rules should apply to all-IF the school officials decided that for A DAY, only materials/clothing related to France could be worn, then all students should comply. Kids need to learn how to work within the guidelines established by the authority figures-just like adults have to work within the guidelines established by their employer. I have a dress code at work-and can be sent home for NOT complying. I want to make a statement, I can be fired-those are the consequences for my statement. The kids in Morgan Hill learned nothing-

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 3:35 PM on Nov. 12, 2010

• Same rules for ALL students--either allow American flags and other national flags or no flags allowed at all.

Honestly, most of these displays of the flag don't even follow the U.S. Flag Code for flag etiquette--sometimes that bothers me, but generally people should be able to display the U.S. flag or the flag of their country of origin without problems from others. IMO
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 3:56 PM on Nov. 12, 2010

• Yes, but I would be much more offended if they were told to remove the Mexican flag in MEXICO.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 4:04 PM on Nov. 12, 2010

• lol dull.. I'm a yankee, born and raised, but that doesn't mean my papa didn't make sure to educate us grandchildren PROPERLY about the Civil War. lol. And trust my, my grandfather was the most nonracial man you'll ever meet. lol. Our family on that side is soo mixed it's not funny.

Doesn't matter what side of the mason-dixon line you are on, you need to know your heritage and HISTORY and respect it for what it is, not what someone did to make it ugly. I don't want flag haters up here in my state either, lol. They can leave the country if they don't like our nations history.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 5:15 PM on Nov. 12, 2010

• Yes.
    UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 3:31 PM on Nov. 12, 2010

• *yawn*
    lhernandez7208

Answer by lhernandez7208 at 3:41 PM on Nov. 12, 2010

• Take the "flag" out of the equation. Shouldn't kids be required to follow the guidelines and instructions given? Do you encourage your kids to follow what the principle asks or not? It was 1 darn day, used for a celebration recognizing a special day for many of their students, and the crap could not be put aside-1 darn day. Sorry, the lack of common sense alludes me.

Compromise, again, it seems some will NEVER accept this parameter/condition as part of everyday life-

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 4:12 PM on Nov. 12, 2010