What is your home remedy for head lice?

Here we go again!! Exactly a year ago my son got head lice and it went through all 4 of my kids. The school called today and had to go and pick up my 7 year old. They found ONE TINY louse on is head! I asked if any other children were checked in his class. The answer I got, "no, we are not allowed to check other kids heads. It's against State School Law." WHAT?!? If they have nits they can stay in class BUT if they have live lice then they have to go home. UGH!
OK this is what I have used in the past and have worked:
Olive Oil
Tea tree oil in the shampoo (I guess I have to get more!)

And of course SANITIZING AND BAGGING UP STUFF!!! That's a no brainer!

What other home remedies have you used and worked?
OTC products seem to not work at all anymore. Tried it.

nctarheelmom

Asked by nctarheelmom at 3:42 PM on Nov. 12, 2010 in Kids' Health

• Saturate your head with olive oil, wrap in plastic, keep overnite. You'll be easily able to remove the lice the next morning. Wash hair.
    Anonymous

• A decoction of White willow bark in red wine vinegar. It smells horrible but the buggers will fall right off. Follow with olive oil overnight as this remedy is very drying to the hair.
    BluDog

Answer by BluDog at 3:53 PM on Nov. 12, 2010

• Mayonnaise and a shower cap. Coat the hair thoroughly and make sure to completely work it onto the scalp. Cover with a shower cap and sit for 30 minutes. Comb thoroughly with a nit comb, then wash hair until all the grease is removed. The mayonnaise helps suffocate them and the oils in it loosen then gluey grip on the hair shaft.
    geminilove

Answer by geminilove at 4:18 PM on Nov. 12, 2010

• My MIL swears by dog shampoo and used to use it on my nephews all the time. I haven't tried it so I don't know.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 4:52 PM on Nov. 12, 2010

• Mineral oil & a plastic shower cap on the head, steam the carpets & mattress, freeze stuffed animals & hot water wash everything else. Oh, and tea tree oil in the shampoo.
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 11:01 PM on Nov. 12, 2010

• Once you get rid of them, try using coconut shampoo on a regular basis. It seems to keep them away. My oldest DD has only had it once. And she got it when we had run out of the coconut, and I had to use a different shampoo on her.
    Dolfindancer

Answer by Dolfindancer at 1:01 AM on Nov. 13, 2010

• Somehow, we managed to avoid lice (probably the only family on the block. Here are some remedies that I have held on to in case I need them. For prevention, mix 50% olive oil, 25% tea tree oil and 25% rosemary essential oil (you can get this at a health food store or Whole Foods); massage on scalp and leave on for 15-20 minutes. To cure, you can use mayonaise or coconut oil; put on the hair, wait about 30 minutes, and comb out with a flea comb from a pet shop; follow with the prevention spray. You will need to wash bedding, clothes, pillows, etc.
    Trader Joes has a great shampoo and conditioner with tea tree oil and peppermint; these wouldn't hurt, and are great for adolescent, greasy, flakey, scalps.

Answer by rkoloms at 12:32 PM on Nov. 13, 2010

• Thankfully we have never dealt with lice here. I have heard that olive oil and tea tree oils work well though.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 3:23 PM on Nov. 13, 2010

• Mineral oil in the hair with a shower cap for an hour. Wash out with dawn dish soap. Comb out all bugs with a metal tooth flea comb. Saturate hair with white vinegar and a shower cap for an hour. Wash out with shampoo. Condition & comb through with flea comb to remove an remaining nits/eggs. The vinegar eats the glue on the eggs. Spray furniture & carpet. Vacuum everything.

Continue to comb conditioner through hair each time hair is washed.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 10:20 AM on Nov. 14, 2010

• Lice Goodbye...I tried all the home remedies mentioned here so far with no success I ended up going out to buy a treatment because I had no choice and I was fed up. Home remedies were a waste of time and my poor child will not even let me touch his hair after all the things I tried on his hair. In the end though, I found a naturtal treatment (Lice Goodbye) that has no harmful chemicals and kills live lice and eggs so it all worked out-treated everyone in my family even those that did not have lice. I was a nut by that point but i did the extra treatments for peace of mind...plus its safe so no worries there.
    MommieeO

Answer by MommieeO at 12:14 PM on Nov. 15, 2010