Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

legal name change

I'm considering changing my name legally. Right now I have my ex's last name-we have 2 kids together 11, 9. I originally kept it so that everyone would know I was their bio mom for school, medical incidents/emergency stuff like that. However I really don't want to keep my ex's it really confusing to schools, medical personal ect. if you don't have the same last name as your young kids? My ex is remarried (we both are) and my concern 6 years ago was that I would not be identified as their MOM and left out. Personally I wanted off the name, but held on to it for my kids and identification with my kids....I'm wondering if this is REALLY necessary-and if I can just drop this fear and do what I really want-change my name and take my current hubby's name.

Answer Question

Asked by cattiesmom78 at 3:43 PM on Nov. 12, 2010 in Relationships

Level 8 (237 Credits)
Answers (6)
  • Lots of children have different last names than thier parents.

    Answer by UpSheRises at 3:44 PM on Nov. 12, 2010

  • I agree with UpSheRIses. A LOT of parents and kids have different names. It's pretty commonplace, especially these days, when many people have kids and aren't married yet, or when moms are keeping their names when they do get married, etc. Do what you'd like! You're still their mom, and your name is on the school documents, etc.

    Answer by musicpisces at 3:47 PM on Nov. 12, 2010

  • How old are your kids? Have you talked to them about how they feel about it? Nowadays families can have all sorts of different last names. Some women dont take their husb's name when they get married. Others divorce & remarry, so they have a different last name than their kids from the 1st marriage. Do what you feel is best for you and your family.

    Answer by mrsmom110 at 3:47 PM on Nov. 12, 2010

  • My children and I do not have the same last name because I have kept my maiden name. I actually have a SIL with the exact same name so was more worried about the confusion THAT could cause in a small town (and it has lol) than the confusion we may run into with the kids. Honestly, we've never had an issue with schools or doctors or anything of the sort. :)

    Answer by Jessica157 at 3:48 PM on Nov. 12, 2010

  • You don't have to do anything other than show your marriage license (to the new dh) to get your license, SS, bank accounts and other things changed to the new name you want to take.

    Answer by admckenzie at 4:23 PM on Nov. 12, 2010

  • I changed my name to my husband's (married 1 year ago) but left my previous last name on the checks and utility bills if I ever need to prove I'm her mom by name to the schools. My daughter doesn't care as her last name is the last name of my ex and hyphenated with my previous last name. My ex's last name comes first so my daughter identifies her last name with that one - not mine. But it is my residence that gets her into the good school district, so I feel I should keep my old name on the utilities and checks.

    Answer by kathyartist2007 at 4:47 PM on Nov. 12, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.