At what age do you think is safe to move a child from a crib to a regular bed?

Autumnlover68

Asked by Autumnlover68 at 7:22 AM on Jun. 19, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My son moved from a crib to a toddler bed at about 20 months or so. The main thing I would suggest is to keep them in their crib until they learn how to get out! My son started climbing over the side rails and dropping himself out of the crib! So I decided it was time for the big boy bed so that he wouldn't be hurting himself climbing out... he was getting out anyway so I might as well make it so he won't hurt himself! If you're going to put he/she in a twin bed or something like that I would make sure you buy a guard rail though, they're too likely to toss and turn and fall out right now. And Regalo makes a 56inch long one for $30 that you can buy at Target.com!
    BeckNAiden

Answer by BeckNAiden at 8:55 AM on Jun. 19, 2008

• I did my son at 14 months and had no problems.
    diane83

Answer by diane83 at 7:23 AM on Jun. 19, 2008

• My son had his 2nd birthday in May and we just bought him bunkbeds last week. Judging from his initial reaction of sleeping in the bunkbeds it was a perfect time to switch. He was really excited but nervous at first and is old enough to where he doesnt roll out of bed. If you wanted to do this switch earlier you could always use a toddler bar on the side of the bed.
    Nluvwitasailor

Answer by Nluvwitasailor at 7:35 AM on Jun. 19, 2008

• I don't think there's a magic age. My oldest DD was 2 when we switched her b/c she almost took a header out of her crib. My 3 1/2 yo is still in her crib. We put the toddler rail up. She's perfectly content & cozy in there.
    gaamom

Answer by gaamom at 8:30 AM on Jun. 19, 2008

• We got DD a toddler bed when she turned one. We were hoping she would like sleeping in the "big girl bed" and suprisingly she did, I guess it was ok as long as she knew she could get out if she wanted.
    brettleysmommy

Answer by brettleysmommy at 8:46 AM on Jun. 19, 2008

• my son's 21 months and still in his crib. he doesn't mind it and he doesn't try and climb out, so there's really no reason to switch him yet :) your child will let you know when it's time :)
    retz

Answer by retz at 9:12 AM on Jun. 19, 2008

• like others said, try not to base your actions on your childs age but more on their actions. we moved our boys into their big boy beds when they started climbing in and out of their cribs.
    hammes_cj

Answer by hammes_cj at 9:46 AM on Jun. 19, 2008

• My daughter was about a little over a year and a half when I moved her to a big girl bed. She actually did better in the big girl bed then anywheres else!
    buggaandmommy

Answer by buggaandmommy at 10:14 AM on Jun. 19, 2008

• usually if they start trying to climb out then that is a good clue. They have bed guards to keep them from falling out now.
    maryztutti

Answer by maryztutti at 11:56 AM on Jun. 19, 2008

• All kids are different. Both of my kids were climbers, so I moved them both to a toddler bed at 12 months for fear of them hurting themselves. As long as your child is staying in their crib, I would leave them in it till they discover how to get out.
    redtang912

Answer by redtang912 at 8:22 PM on Jun. 19, 2008