How much should I charge per hour to watch someone else's kid?

I want to stay at home with my twins for the first year of their childhoods at least. I'm planning on opening up a daycare in my house. What should I use as rates, especially for a two year old? Also, would you allow an 18-year-old very responsible mother of two watch your child or would you be weary because of my age?

mommyoftwins903

Asked by mommyoftwins903 at 7:20 PM on Jul. 4, 2008 in General Parenting

• It would depend on the person, not the age. But have you looked into getting a licence for daycare? Pretty difficult. You must attend certain classes, certification(s), home safety issues, etc... I take care of my 4 grandkids, & rates vary by the child(s) age, are they toilet trained or not, what type of foods you offer the children, etc..
    If you have all of the above answers, post again, & I have a list if you need more help. Or you can email me @ Yahoo.
    Good Luck!
    ProfilRN0313
    AKA
    Elaine H.
    ProfilRN

Answer by ProfilRN at 7:31 PM on Jul. 4, 2008

• In the state I live in, you are required to get a license only if you exceed 3 unrelated children in your home, but I may get the license in time. With twin girls already, I'm not planning on having more than 5 kids in my house at one time. I'm planning on taking a first aid and cpr class for children. Also, I have background in the medical field if anything would occur. I'm planning on providing healthy meals for each child. About children's ages, right now, I'm looking at watching a 14 month old who isn't potty trained.Rate? I have an educational plan to work with (I used to teach Spanish to seventh graders) meaning I don't plan on letting the child watch tv all day long. Any help on rates?
    mommyoftwins903

Answer by mommyoftwins903 at 7:54 PM on Jul. 4, 2008

• me personally, i like to charge $3 per kid, per hour, but evidently my rates are high. i was going to watch this 18 month girl, from 6:30am till 3:30pm, and i asked for $30. they told me they usually only give their regualr babysitter $18 a DAY! i was like, hell no! not for having to get up at the butt crack of dawn, and take care of my 3 other kids. so i guess i lost that job. lol
    ndbigler

Answer by ndbigler at 7:58 PM on Jul. 4, 2008

• Ndbigler. wow $18. sure, they are getting a sitter do nothing wtih their kids but put them in front of the TV.

You know you can always make a sell point of your speical skills. My fd is certified lifeguide, she makes good baby sitting money out of this skill of her.
    yoshiki56

Answer by yoshiki56 at 3:19 AM on Jul. 5, 2008

• My sister-in-law used to watch my youngest child and she was charging me (Family) $40 a day 8am - about 5pm.

try a friend or someone that you know that might need someone to watch their child even for a short time.

As far as what to charge the question you need to answer for yourself is what do you think you are worth providing these services? Who is buying the food for the meals? and who is buying the supplies for any activities you plan to do? Explain what services you are providing for the price that they will be paying. (maby call a daycare provider yourself and ask them what they would charge you to watch your child(ren) Compare prices.

If you want to get people interested in what services you will be providing maby do a free trial for new people. Remember always find out if the child has any food alergies before you give them any food and always keep a first aid kit on hand with emergancy phone numbers as a just in case.

Ms.Pool

Answer by Ms.Pool at 10:48 PM on Jul. 5, 2008

• I charge $25 a day and they pack their own lunch. They are school age children though, not infants or toddlers. In my state you can have up to 5 unrelated and I am always full, so I guess my rates aren't to bad. We also go on field trips so I don't have all these extra kids tearing my house apart. The parents pay for them also. I mean if this is going to be your job people should expect to pay you for it and well. I was a day teacher for 10 years before I started staying at home with me kids. As for the age thing, I was 18 when I had my first and I babysat and worked at daycare. Depends on the person not the number.
    2chillins4me

Answer by 2chillins4me at 8:03 AM on Jul. 6, 2008