Do you think you can die of a broken heart?

I'm not talking about stress giving you a heart attack or anything like that. I mean do you think people who have really tragic things happen to them dying of nothing more than a broken heart. So when the do an autopsy nothing is found wrong.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:18 AM on Nov. 3, 2008 in Religion & Beliefs

• no
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:21 AM on Nov. 3, 2008

• Nope....not possible. Having a "broken heart" is not a literal term thus, NOBODY could possibly die from a "broken heart"..

Severe depression due to a emotional traumatic event could possibly lead to an untimely death but NEVER will a "broken heart" lead to death.

Unless of course, you consider cardiac arrest a "broken heart".

AvasMommy810

Answer by AvasMommy810 at 2:27 AM on Nov. 3, 2008

• Yes, you can die from a broken heart. It may masquerade as other things, but I believe that when you spend your life with someone and you are truly part of one another, that when one passes away, the other can die shortly after...and the real cause, regardless of what any autopsy may say, would be a broken heart. It is as if the body figures, without the loved on there, what's the point in fighting any more? I've seen it, and I believe it.
    jespeach

Answer by jespeach at 4:28 AM on Nov. 3, 2008

• BTW, Avasmommy810: Love is every bit as intangible as a broken heart...but you believe in love, don't you? Just because you can't hold something in your hand, doesn't mean it isn't real.
    jespeach

Answer by jespeach at 4:29 AM on Nov. 3, 2008

• When I worked in a nusing home we had a married couple there- the husband was in bed health but had his mind most of the time- the wife on the other hand didn't talk and was combative. Anyhow the husband died suddenly, the family held his funeral and of course took his wife though they weren't quite sure she even understood. She was quiet and non combative from the day he died until she died 5 days later. I am convinced one can die of a broken heart- we really thought she didn't understand all that was going on but apparently her heart knew he was no longer there.
    candygirl1030

Answer by candygirl1030 at 6:16 AM on Nov. 3, 2008

• Yes I do! I think that when there is an elderly couple who have been together for so long, that is exactly why right after one passes away, it isn't very long until the other passes too.. Also, I watdh a program about that on one of these medical shows(don't remember whch one) but it is a proven fact that a person can literally die from a broken heart!! Sounds werid, but it is a fact.
    Freda01

Answer by Freda01 at 7:06 AM on Nov. 3, 2008

• Well like Avasmommy said "broken heart" is not a literal term but I DO believe a person can die from one. They can become withdrawn, depressed and essentially lose the will to live. Now on the flip side I don't believe and autopsy would show nothing. It would show several things such as a smaller and shriveled stomach from not eating as much due to the emotional distress or other similar signs. So while I believe yes one can die of a broken heart, there will be tell tale signs, though the coroner may not know to be looking for it and write it off as a natural causes death.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 7:34 AM on Nov. 3, 2008

• Yes I do. As stated, I think couples who are truly "soul mates" don't do very well once the one has passed on. I've seen it a few times myself. No, it's probably not a "medical term" but I think it definitely happens. The one left behind may just "will themselves to die" in a sense in order to join their loved one on The Other Side.
    jenettyshome

Answer by jenettyshome at 8:05 AM on Nov. 3, 2008

• I have to agree with what Kristi said, the coroner might not find a broken heart, but there probally would be definite signs, like she said , an empty stomach, and such things that a person would have if they became gravely depressed over loosing a true love.
    Freda01

Answer by Freda01 at 8:17 AM on Nov. 3, 2008

• yes i do my gp were togeather for over 55 years she passed away he was a healthy man but he went down hill after that he had nothing wrong w/ him when he passed away to this day we have always said he died of a broken heart bc/ we really dont know what happened to him i think he was just miserable wo her. i dont know, he might have had something we never knew of but it was never found he died less than a year after my gm.
    sdeignan

Answer by sdeignan at 8:33 AM on Nov. 3, 2008