why do kids tell lies?

my 6 year old son is adhd and he loves to tell storys but this time his story almost cause him to be takn away from me and me put in jail what should i do how should i let him no what he did was wrong?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:10 PM on Nov. 12, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• its a human self preservation instinct. There's always that off chance the person will believe it and they'll get away with it. The best we can do is teach them why its not a good thing.
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 4:14 PM on Nov. 12, 2010

• Same reason adults tell lies.
    You need to explain to him that story telling is fine as long as it doesn't hurt anyone else. That his story could've caused you and him to be seperated for a very long time. Just talk to him and let him know that it wasn't right.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 4:19 PM on Nov. 12, 2010

• what did he say? one time i told a family friend who was babysitting me that i was starving because i hadnt been fed in 3 days (i was lying) but i cant remember why i said it. maybe for attention? im not sure good question though
    pookipoo

Answer by pookipoo at 4:20 PM on Nov. 12, 2010

• There could be numerous reasons kids tell lies. I saw a blurb on tv about this not long ago (the news actually). Some kids said for fun, some for attention, etc. One little girl said she didn't want her parents to be mad at her. Funny she didn't realize when she got caught that's the exact effect should was probably going to get.
    firenicecream

Answer by firenicecream at 4:25 PM on Nov. 12, 2010

• The best thing is to continue to teach and tell your son of the importance of telling the truth and that telling lies always, ALWAYS lead to trouble, pain, and heartache. Keep teaching him this lesson and as he becomes older he will understand.

NubianQueen78

Answer by NubianQueen78 at 1:36 PM on Nov. 13, 2010