Holidays... oh joy.

Don't get me wrong, I love the holidays :) But my parents/grandparents and my inlaws are driving me crazy. My husband and I had a baby a little over 3 months ago and its the first grandbaby for both of our parents. I know how excited I was for my first child, so I can see how a grandchild is very exciting. When he was born, our parents, I swear were gonna knock eachother out to see and hold the baby first. I try to be fair. But they are both putting me in a horrible position. His family is from FL, and wants us to come down, and my family is all from eastern PA, we live in Eastern PA. When we said that we probably weren't coming down, they immediately suggested coming up and speading the Holidays up here. Which, they can do whatever they wish. But with both families trying to plan my holidays and making me choose one or other. I'm about to say forget it and just lock myself at home with my husband and baby for Xmas. Advise?

addix2

Asked by addix2 at 4:11 PM on Nov. 12, 2010 in Holidays

• figure out how to make time for both..
    chica679

Answer by chica679 at 4:13 PM on Nov. 12, 2010

• This is a good year to start your own traditions. You may want some time alone with just the 3 of you. Try to figure out what you want to do and then tell them what your plans are. If they keep pushing just tell them you have not decided about your plans yet and you will tell them as soon as you figure it out. GL!
    TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 4:17 PM on Nov. 12, 2010

• I would say with a baby that small let the ones come to your house. If they really want to send the holiday with you they will come to you if can. Holidays are special and with a new one around I would just stay at home and enjoy the hoiday. Do not let them make you decide it just is not far. My girls are ages 9, 7, and 5. Their grandparents live in north carlina and california and the first year a set will be here for the holiday. The rest of the holidays just us and it was nice. Happy holidays.
    momindiana

Answer by momindiana at 4:18 PM on Nov. 12, 2010

• You have the new baby, let them come to you. Grandparents are often well meaning but really pushy. I wish I had been more assertive with staying at home for holidays when my kids were little. No my Christmas memories are of hurry up so we can go. I won't get those times back and I wish I would have thought about it when they were little.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 5:54 PM on Nov. 12, 2010

• yes you might want some alone time. Tell your parents what time to come over. My parents got to spoil one grand child. My other two had to grow up not knowing their grandparents.
    HomeAlone45

Answer by HomeAlone45 at 9:41 PM on Nov. 12, 2010

• Even before we had kids, my husband and I agreed that our kids would always wake up in their own beds on Christmas morning. Invite everyone over for a late Christmas brunch and keep your morning to yourselves.
    MeggieSwan

Answer by MeggieSwan at 9:46 PM on Nov. 12, 2010

• Congratulations on your new baby. I would have told both families that they had to come to you for Christmas after all you had their Grandchild and its freezing outside. When neither side can compromise for your household always gently remind them that this is a joint decision and should reach a level of compromise on location when possible. Sometimes it helps me with family decisions to take the ME OUT OF THE PROBLEM then I can choose a good decision for my family. Good Luck and God Bless
    mom4tye

Answer by mom4tye at 12:01 AM on Dec. 27, 2010