Where do you buy your produce from? A grocery store, a produce stand, a farmer's market, your own yard, etc?

We usually buy ours from a produce stand that's located off of a main highway, but the last fruit and vegetables we bought from went bad after a few days, so I think we're going to start getting it from the grocery stores.

poptart0325

Asked by poptart0325 at 4:12 PM on Nov. 12, 2010 in Food & Drink

• All of those places! My favorite is the farmer's market because the prices are so cheap :)
    .science.mom.

Answer by .science.mom. at 4:56 PM on Nov. 12, 2010

• During the summer, I grow my own and buy anything else from a farmers market - maybe a little bit from the grocery store if I need something that's not available - you-pick farms too. I freeze or can what I can for the winter, and everything else I need during the other 3 seasons comes from the grocery store. I live in the midwest and don't have the option to grow my own year round, and I'm not able to grow/can/freeze a full year's worth every summer.
    Anonymous

• Market. I buy whatever I need for the day, or like a bag of apples or bunch of banana's since they go quick. It's a block away so I use going there as an excuse to get myself and the kids out of the house at least once a day.
    Nanixh

Answer by Nanixh at 4:23 PM on Nov. 12, 2010

• My own garden and the farmers market. During the winter I go to a year round organic produce. I try to stay away from the grocery store thanks to the news about genetically modified foods.
    Momma_Halo

Answer by Momma_Halo at 5:34 PM on Nov. 12, 2010

• I get my produce from the grocery store.

NubianQueen78

Answer by NubianQueen78 at 7:54 PM on Nov. 12, 2010

• If I had a green thumb, we'd get it from our yard, but I kill everything I plant. I go to the farmer's market once a week (or twice, depending on the week), and get what I can then, and the rest I get at the store.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 4:14 PM on Nov. 12, 2010

• Grocery store, but we're going to start growing our own next Spring.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 4:16 PM on Nov. 12, 2010

• I use both but lately from the grocery store.

I did not do too well with my garden last year so I didn't try this year!
    LilyPondOasis

Answer by LilyPondOasis at 4:27 PM on Nov. 12, 2010

• Only buy from a produce stand, market, or farmer's market that which you will use IMMEDIATELY. It's ripe when the farmer picks it, it's riper when they sell it. Their produce isn't like a grocery store, where often things are picked green and allowed to ripen in transit to the sales floor. There's also less chance that chemicals were used on their produce to help it grow better...so it's OK that it's not as "pretty" as the produce in the grocery store...
    GoodyBrook

Answer by GoodyBrook at 4:36 PM on Nov. 12, 2010

• I get my veggies from a grocery store and do not by organically due to how expensive it is. I do not like the idea of chemicals and hope within a year or two to be able to grow some of my own produce and then can it. I only buy what i can eat within a few days. I really do agree that a farmers market and homegrown is the best, regarding the chemicals/pesticides. In my area, Central Oregon, there is such an increase in people growing there own produce, it inspires me.
    VGonzalez73

Answer by VGonzalez73 at 4:54 PM on Nov. 12, 2010