How do i improve my supply of breastmilk?

I have been breastfeeding for almost 2 months, and it seems that my milk supply has decreased. I pumped earlier and i didnt even get a 1/2 ounce. My daughter had eaten maybe an hour earlier but she did not eat but maybe 5 mins. any suggestions. my supply has been very satisfying to her until now. (yesterday)

indysownlilbit

Asked by indysownlilbit at 4:39 PM on Nov. 12, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Malt.. malted milkshakes or a beer! I tried pumping nd could barely get an ounce then had a beer and got 3 oz. Also drink LOTS of water! good luck!
    LadyofIvory

Answer by LadyofIvory at 4:53 PM on Nov. 12, 2010

• Here is a free ebook that's all about herbs & breastfeeding... There is a great number of herbs you can take or eat (just cook with them) that will help increase your milk, and many others that you may want to avoid because they can diminish your supply... You can also buy "Milk Maid" tea which is made for this exact reason...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 4:56 PM on Nov. 12, 2010

• The BF groups on here are a wealth of information and also kellymom.com.
    liss05

Answer by liss05 at 5:02 PM on Nov. 12, 2010

• Pumping is NOT a good indicator of how much you're making - some women can't ever pump an ounce even though baby is a big ole chunky butt.

That said...eat oatmeal, drink plenty of water & milk (I was told to drink a quart of milk a day at the minimum), eat healthy, don't diet, make sure you're eating enough. Fenugreek, brewer's yeast, mother's milk tea, etc.

Why did baby suddenly seem not satisfied yesterday? What indication was baby giving you?
    Anonymous

• Eat and drink like you're pregnant
    UVWray

Answer by UVWray at 5:08 PM on Nov. 12, 2010

• What (other then pump output, which means NOTHING) makes you think there is a problem? How many diapers are you changing in 24 hours?
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 5:29 PM on Nov. 12, 2010

• Babies can empty out a breast in 5 minutes once they become efficient. Even if the breast has 3 ounces in it. Be sure to keep that in mind :)
    mharris07

Answer by mharris07 at 7:22 PM on Nov. 12, 2010

• Google "Breast feeding diet" =) GL
    WhitneyMommyOf2

Answer by WhitneyMommyOf2 at 9:05 PM on Nov. 12, 2010

• Your supply is probably just fine. Pumping output is a poor indication of supply. If baby seems like they need more, just nurse more and your body will make more milk!
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 9:41 PM on Nov. 12, 2010

• diapers that is all that counts, 6-8 a day. the best way to make more milk is to nurse on demand.
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 10:54 PM on Nov. 12, 2010