had my iud removed because i was experiencing pain, my doctor said my pain was in my uterus based on pelvic exam...

For about a week I was having random bleeding and pain on one side of my pelvis...it hurt worse when I urinated and I thought it might be a bladder infection or something. I had the Mirena IUD at the time.

So on wednesday I went to the doctor and she did a urine test and it came back negative for pregnancy and negative for a bladder infection.

She checked my strings and said my IUD was in place and I asked to have it removed.

When she did the pelvic exam the place that hurt was my uterus. I also look very bloated.

Well, two days later the pain isn't any better...it's tender to touch and it's this dull, crampy feeling on my left side of my pelvis.

What could this be from? She did swabs and blood tests for stds and i find out on monday but she said she didn't think that was the cause.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:44 PM on Nov. 12, 2010 in Health

• Maybe a uterine infection? There is a small chance of bacteria "hitching a ride" on the strings, and getting into the uterus, which is normally a sterile environment. If too much bacteria get up there, then you can get an infection. Maybe that's it? If she swabbed, she should be able to tell you once they grow out the samples (can take a couple of days, then analysis, etc).
    Good luck!
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 4:47 PM on Nov. 12, 2010

• I have fibroids in my uterus and this causes me pain when my IUD pushes into them. See if your physician will order you an ultrasound to see what is hiding in there.
    ashisamom

Answer by ashisamom at 5:03 PM on Nov. 12, 2010

• It could possibly be some sort of infection. If so the infection can be treated with antibiotics.

NubianQueen78

Answer by NubianQueen78 at 9:38 PM on Nov. 12, 2010

• i had the iud about 5 yrs ago and i had it for 5 yrs and at the end i was getting pain and had a fever and when i went to the er i found out i had pid and it was caused by the iud and the pain was bad...had to be hospitalized with iv's and iud had to be removed ....have the iud again and no problems yet..and its been 1 yr now..but on the commercials now they say that and iud can cause pid..so ask the doctor to check you for that....hope u feel betta soon
    honesty33

Answer by honesty33 at 9:54 AM on Nov. 14, 2010