am I crazy?

I have a 2 year old golden retriever. When he was a puppy he was an inside dog. He has gotten to big now and I put him outside. I have a very small house. I feel bad because I am the only one to go out and play with him. I just don't feel he gets enough attention. My husband tells me I am crazy for feeling like this. Says he is just a dog. What do you think?

arenad

Asked by arenad at 4:45 PM on Nov. 12, 2010 in Pets

• No Sweetie, ur not crazy @ all. Your dog is part of your family & there's nothing wrong with being outside playing with him and loving on him. Just b/c he's a dog doesn't mean that he doesn't  have feelings just as we humans do. In the past my family and I were dog owners and we treated them like part of the family. Currently, we're cat owners, and consider all three of them to be my babies LOL! I give them as much attention and love just as i give to my human son.

NubianQueen78

Answer by NubianQueen78 at 1:51 PM on Nov. 13, 2010

• I feel sorry for the dog! I used to live in a house that was barely 1000sqft I have three dogs. One is 80 pounds, one is 50 and the other is 35. Now because my circumstances have changed(husband walked out and threatened me) my daughter and I live with my mom in her basement. It is a big house but the dogs live in the basement. Yes, it is a smaller space but they get plenty of exercise and know how to behave in the house. Dogs and especially Goldens love to be around people they are social animals so it is pretty mean to kick the dog outside. I adopted a golden years ago that had been an outdoor only dog. The reason they were getting rid of her was because she was jumping their fence. Poor dog was bored and lonely.

KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 5:01 PM on Nov. 12, 2010

• He s NOT "just a dog."
    ANd I hate to hear that a dog is living outside. WHy get a dog if he lives outside? That is cruel.
    kerp1960

Answer by kerp1960 at 8:27 PM on Nov. 12, 2010

• I don't think you are Crazy for feeling the way you do but, maybe your husband is a little Crazy to think it's O.K. for your dog to be outside Alone & with hardly any Interaction b/c it is " Just a Dog " That is really Mean & Cruel- It drives me Insane Everyday b/c my neighbors have a Lab in the back yard & it never gets any kind of attention; except when i go out there to give him treats & talk to him- i don't understand why people get a dog & then make them live a Sad & Lonely life Outside-

daisyb

Answer by daisyb at 11:29 PM on Nov. 12, 2010

• I will say, I feel bad for the dog too. Basically, he's been banished. I have two rather large dogs (about 80lbs each). They are outside during the day, while we're at work. But when we're home, the dogs are inside. They are part of the family. Dogs need attention and affection. If your husband really thinks it's "just a dog", he should have one.
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 6:06 PM on Nov. 12, 2010

• Doggies have hearts too! Nope not crazy! I have a soft spot for animals!
    JakesCupcake

Answer by JakesCupcake at 4:46 PM on Nov. 12, 2010

• Im with you honey, yes, he's just a dog but they ask so little of us. He needs someone to play with too.
    Blabbermouth

Answer by Blabbermouth at 4:47 PM on Nov. 12, 2010

• Not crazy. All dogs need lots of stimulation
    chanelsparkels

Answer by chanelsparkels at 4:47 PM on Nov. 12, 2010

• I think it's a life outside dogs end up with. Lonely.
    Iluvmy5

Answer by Iluvmy5 at 4:53 PM on Nov. 12, 2010

• A dog that big needs a lot of exercise to keep his mind from going crazy. Have each of your kids take him for a walk per day as part of their household chores... (He is still part of the family, even though he's now living outside!). They don't need to like the dog or play with the dog, but they do need to learn to take care of an animals needs.
    GoodyBrook

Answer by GoodyBrook at 4:59 PM on Nov. 12, 2010