Is there any way to make a "3rd wheel" feel less awkward?

Hubby and I want our friend to come hang out but we can tell he feels out of place in a couples home. Hubby and I don't get touchy-feely or overly affectionate out of respect but bot sure what else can be done...

mslksdh

Asked by mslksdh at 4:48 PM on Nov. 12, 2010 in Relationships

• My husband and I had a third wheel for many years. He was with us nearly every day. I guess that lessened the awkwardness. The fact that he was a mutual friend and was close to the both of us lessened the awkwardness. But aside from that I don't know, ask him what he'd like to do. Maybe make his favorite meal or allow him to help out in any way he sees fit. It would be neat to invite a friend, but ask him first. Our friend was like family. Invited to do everything (almost lol). The bad thing was if hubby and I wanted a date night, he'd be lonely and ask why we didn't invite him. He tried to come off as joking, but we could tell he was lonely. He didn't have a good relationship with his family and didn't have very many close friends. He is now happily married with two kids to a woman he brought to our home on his first date.
    Desi_Momof4

Answer by Desi_Momof4 at 5:02 PM on Nov. 12, 2010

• Yeah bring him a date he can talk to. A sister or friend of yours. That way its 4 people, 2 guys, 2 girls.
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 4:51 PM on Nov. 12, 2010

• Or make it a "Guys Night" at your home, and you can be the third wheel. Your friend might want to hang out more if he isn't the minority...
    GoodyBrook

Answer by GoodyBrook at 4:52 PM on Nov. 12, 2010

• I was going to suggest having someone else over as well. A woman with like interests as him. Have dinner and play a game. Pictionary, or Taboo is always fun for groups.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 4:53 PM on Nov. 12, 2010