How far do you commute?

I am thinking of moving 40 miles from my job to get my older son into a better high school. I also have a 6 year old to consider. If you commute more than 20 miles, do your kids go to school where you work or live? I mean for my little one, is it better to drive him with me the 40 miles? Or send him to school in the new place (much better schools) but he'll be in afterschool care more.
If you have a long commute, please share how you manage.

whirlygirl

Asked by whirlygirl at 5:15 AM on Nov. 3, 2008 in General Parenting

• I dont' commute over 40 miles but I guess you could call my drive a commute. We live in the country about 8 miles from the small town where the boys go to school and I work. I was working in a bigger city that is about 15 miles from us in the opposite direction. I worked there for a long time and the boys still went to school in the small town that is closer. When I worked in the bigger town they took the bus to and from school. I hated it because they could never participate in anything. So I got a local job so that I could drive them to and from school and be right there in town for them. This way my youngest is able to attend an after school learning program and my oldest is able to participate in sports, clubs and other activities. I did what I had to do for my boys and I couldn't be happier about it. I don't know if it helps but it is my experience with some what of a commute.
    momma2merks

Answer by momma2merks at 6:35 AM on Nov. 3, 2008