Soft Paganism Question (Adult!) adult content

The god of Abraham taught homosexual sex & extra-marital sex is wrong.

The god of Rome practiced (and therefore taught as good) extra-marital sex & homosexual sex (well, okay, Zeus kidnapped Ganymedes, a child, so pedastry).

If all gods are one god, then why would he teach contradicting values?

I’ve heard before that soft pagans might believe the gods present different aspects of his personality to the different cultures, just as people do, but people don’t completely contradict themselves. If a person does contradict herself, she might be seen as two-faced and a back-stabber, and unliked by many. If a god is teaching contradicting values, then why is he worshiped, yet a person who does the same is shunned?

flatlanderjenn

Asked by flatlanderjenn at 5:11 PM on Nov. 12, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• I don't believe in any other gods. I believe in one God, my Heavenly Father, and I follow His Word, which is taught in the Bible and at my Church. zeus, posidon, and all those others are Mythology- not the same thing.
    Sharell8710

Answer by Sharell8710 at 5:15 PM on Nov. 12, 2010

• I think the confusion comes when human cultures assign a mythology based on their own cultural mores to a religious structure.

The religious strictures on sexuality, food, marriage, etc. came about as social constructs to promote the local "tribe", for lack of a better word. And what better way to enforce these social mores than by giving them religious weight?

Don't want people to eat pork because it can make them sink if undercooked, tell them God said no pork. Want to encourage them to have more sons? Tell them women are unclean the week before and during their menstrual cycle. (Science later proved that women are more likely to have girls when they have sex the week before their cycle.)
    geminilove

Answer by geminilove at 5:33 PM on Nov. 12, 2010

• 2/2:

Because the Greeks found homosexuality and pederasty (although it should be noted given the average life span of the time, Ganymede was likely already considered an adult as he was in his teens.) socially acceptable and therefore it's reflected in their mythology, the Israelites had an opposing social view and it is thus reflected in THEIR mythology.
    geminilove

• Science later proved that women are more likely to have girls when they have sex the week before their cycle.

DH & I practice NFP and my Taking Charge of Your Fertility book by Toni Weschler reads that you will be more likely to conceive a boy if you have intercourse on the day you ovulate, or the day after, and you will be more likely to conceive a girl if you have intercourse several days before ovulating.  This is because sperm w/ the XX chromosome seem to be hardier, more able to 'live' longer in inhospitable conditions compared to the sperm w/ the XY chromosome.

So...women are more likely to conceive a girl if they have sex a week after menstruation ends.  Maybe that is what you meant...

flatlanderjenn

Comment by flatlanderjenn (original poster) at 5:49 PM on Nov. 12, 2010

• I think the confusion comes when human cultures assign a mythology based on their own cultural mores to a religious structure

Does this mean you don't believe any god(s) exist?  Or that gods (real or unreal) are the projections of their worshippers?

flatlanderjenn

Comment by flatlanderjenn (original poster) at 5:51 PM on Nov. 12, 2010

• I'm not a soft Poly. but I think it's worth adding that cultural views (and religious views) of these things were not so black and white as they are today. Multiple marriages were very common in Israelite culture, and we have some proof thanks to archeology that homosexuality and even prostitution were not seen as Taboo as they are today. In fact many of the beliefs surrounding these things have been altered again and again, not by any God, but by the teachings of greedy men. Homosexuality & Plural Marriage were not banned by Israelite law, and were rather accepted, as they were in Roman cultures... The teachings which made these things wrong came later - much much later! I think it's also worth noting that the cultural acceptance of these things is what ultimately changed to shape the religious perception, not God or Gods or anything that ultimately came from them/him.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 6:07 PM on Nov. 12, 2010

• Soft Polytheism not Soft Paganism.

I'm not Soft in either case but my take on this is that the Gods of any given culture reflect the social values of that culture.

Why two faced Gods are shunned? Not all are, I'm thinking more of Janus, forgive naming him but Loki; knock on wood and stone, and the trickster Gods. But for the most part is not easy to live up to and emulate a two faced God. It's hard enough to emulate a one faced God. Humans are contradictory and make mistakes and we learn from those mistakes, so it's better to err on forgiveness for those inconsistencies than with a God. The Gods change but change so very slowly.
    isabellalecour

Answer by isabellalecour at 9:23 PM on Nov. 12, 2010

• I don't believe all gods are one god.I believe in one God
    bucky77

Answer by bucky77 at 1:02 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

• Soft Polytheism not Soft Paganism

Oops!  My bad.  Sorry.

flatlanderjenn

Comment by flatlanderjenn (original poster) at 2:51 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

• But for the most part is not easy to live up to and emulate a two faced God. It's hard enough to emulate a one faced God.

I understand.  Relating to an imperfect god is less intimidating than relating to a perfect god, I suppose.

flatlanderjenn

Comment by flatlanderjenn (original poster) at 2:58 PM on Nov. 14, 2010