When do you think it is appropriate for a kid to get a cell phone??

LiLJeni

Asked by LiLJeni at 5:12 PM on Nov. 12, 2010 in Parenting Debate

• My oldest got when he started 7th grade. He was going to a charter school that got out at 415 and would staying after for plays and performances. My middle child got one this year, although he is in 6th grade because my youngest child became very ill this summer and I was at the hospital most of the time with her. My DH felt that he should have a phone because I was so far away from home and my DH was at work all day. I think that you have to look at your situation and do what ever is best for you.

I always thought I would wait til high school. For us things changed and we had to adjust our plans.

Good Luck!
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 6:58 PM on Nov. 12, 2010

• When they are old enough and responsible enough to have a job to pay for the phone. That was the rule for my daughter and will also be the rule for my son.
    Robsmommy

Answer by Robsmommy at 6:47 PM on Nov. 12, 2010

• When they can pay for it
    Justins_mommy05

Answer by Justins_mommy05 at 8:11 PM on Nov. 12, 2010

• when they can pay for it!!!
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 11:02 PM on Nov. 12, 2010

• My son has sever speech delay and his first week of school in kinder he asked the teacher how to get home. Well she didn't understand him, so he decided to walk home. That day I went got a cell phone so he can call me and I can track him. He doesn't use it now, he is in the first grade, his speech is getting better and his teacher can understand him lots better.

So I think it just depends on the situation.
    1Giovanni

Answer by 1Giovanni at 10:03 PM on Nov. 12, 2010

• Im old fashioned and say when they start driving. But sometimes parents have other reason. Like if their child is in sports or after school activities and takes the late bus or get a ride. IF they have a phone they will know where theyre at at all times. My little cousin has whats called a disney phone. It dials three contacts and 911. You can program it to what contacts she/he can call. Im sure you can up the contacts but not sure. I think its a good idea. Im not fond of the whole texting and sexting stuff. And that seems to be why kids want one so bad. It not only racks up the bill but you dont know what they are always talking about with friends and SO's. Especially since they have the power to delete. So I guess it depends on the situation whether to have one or not
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 5:18 PM on Nov. 12, 2010

• 13
    wildwiccan83

Answer by wildwiccan83 at 5:21 PM on Nov. 12, 2010

• My son will be getting one next year before he starts school - he will be 5. Now, I don't think kids need a blackberry or anything that young, hell, I'm nearly 30 and don't even have a cell yet. But I think any child that's going to be away from home for any amount of time each day needs a way to contact home or help in case of emergency. There were a number of cases in my childhood where luckily I wasn't harmed, but easily could have been because I didn't have a way to contact anyone and they had no way to contact me. Messages that weren't given to me by the school, missed bus stops which led to hours alone on the bus at the garage, getting lost on the way home and other things as I got older which could have and in some cases did end very badly because cell phones weren't an option. I would prefer to know my kids are safe & can contact help than worry about some "accepted age limit."

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 5:50 PM on Nov. 12, 2010

• My daughter was 12, and we got it for her because she was a lot more active, going away to camp, going for more sleepovers, things like that.

I think it depends on the kid and it depends on they situation. We got my stepson a phone when he was 13, and he was completely irresponsible with it, lost it, broke it, ran up the bill with texts and game apps... so we took it away. Got him another one when he was 16 and he did the same thing. He broke it and we just never replaced it.

My daughter, however, has been very responsible with hers.
    Guinhyvar

Answer by Guinhyvar at 6:27 PM on Nov. 12, 2010

• I think when they are in activities that I will not be there for and he may be getting his own ride home or something (12 or 13) but I survived without one. so I might reconsider the older they get.
    Bubbie0809

Answer by Bubbie0809 at 6:48 PM on Nov. 12, 2010