Do you have to request for STD checks while getting a yearly pap? adult content

A friend of mine called me today freaking out because she found out she has an STD (thank god one that can be treated). She didn't think she needed to be checked because she has only been with her Husband. I am just curious if a yearly pap covers testing for STD's or if the patient needs to request it?

TiffanyPlew

Asked by TiffanyPlew at 5:14 PM on Nov. 12, 2010 in Health

• Depends on your doctor. I've had gynos test at your yearly exam and I've had ones where you had to request he additional tests.
    ballewal

Answer by ballewal at 5:18 PM on Nov. 12, 2010

• It's part of the package with my annual exam.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 5:19 PM on Nov. 12, 2010

• I am sure when a yearly pap IS done, the doctor tests for STD's whether or not you say you are sexually active or not.

I think it's standard cause you'd want to know if you have something wrong, and how else would you know if they did not test you for it all?
    LilyPondOasis

Answer by LilyPondOasis at 5:19 PM on Nov. 12, 2010

• I think they test for the most common STDs....chlamydia, herpes, etc. But I'm almost positive if you want the full panel of tests, it's an additional request because blood has to be drawn to do it.
    mainemusicmaker

Answer by mainemusicmaker at 5:35 PM on Nov. 12, 2010

• My doctor automatically have you tested for STD and HIV no question ask
    nicjon

Answer by nicjon at 5:59 PM on Nov. 12, 2010

• thanks ladies I didn't know, and I guess now I will be asking my doc what the procedure is
    TiffanyPlew

Comment by TiffanyPlew (original poster) at 6:14 PM on Nov. 12, 2010

• You have to ask at my dr. office. Seperate swabs other than the one for the pap smear are done and sent to the lab to test for the STD's such as chlamydia, herpes, gonorrhea. Then you can have the blood work up for those tested by blood like HIV, and syphillis (spelling).
    MissAlisabeth

Answer by MissAlisabeth at 9:10 PM on Nov. 12, 2010

• Request for one.
    NubianQueen78

Answer by NubianQueen78 at 9:17 PM on Nov. 12, 2010

• i know when i get my yearly pap ..u have to request it
    honesty33

Answer by honesty33 at 9:46 AM on Nov. 14, 2010