What can I do to relieve or stave off pregnancy symptoms like nausea and vomiting, heartburn, leg cramps, and hemorrhoids?

kiansmom0423

Asked by kiansmom0423 at 5:15 PM on Nov. 12, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Dairy worked for my heartburn too, I liked yogurt and milk. My second pregnancy I realized I was getting nauseous because I was hungry. It is like my body forgot how to send the "hungry" signal and sent "throw up" instead. So wrong! Lol so I tried to eat about every 2 hours even if it was just half a pear whatever made me feel better. I also packed an "emergency snack" for me in my purse for times when I felt nauseous while out running errands or whatever and it was ALWAYS with me. I lost 10 pounds in my first pregnancy before 5 months but this is my second and I have lost 0. :) I have heard leg cramps is a result of dehydration so I drink like a fish. When I get dizzy and feel generally crappy I drink a glass of water and sit down & almost always goes away. I also drink a glass within the first 45 minutes of being awake. For hemorrhoids, eat 5 fruits &veggies so you get enough fiber to avoid straining.
    katie23

Answer by katie23 at 5:56 PM on Nov. 12, 2010

• i found out that the all day sickness and heartburn was relieved for me by eating peppermint candies and ice chips. for 7 months thats the only thing that worked. for the leg cramps and hemorrhoids, i had my husband rub my legs down a lot and did a lot of walking. for the hemorrhoids i used triple paste its sort of like diaper rash cream. worked really well. i tried the stuff my ob gave me but it didn't work.
    knagsmom

Answer by knagsmom at 6:07 PM on Nov. 12, 2010

• The best thing I found for heartburn when I was pregnant was milk. I craved it and it worked well to fight heartburn. As far as sickness, thank God I was never sick with either of my little ones..Good Luck sweetie!! Hope I helped a lil bit!!
    rbrewster

Answer by rbrewster at 5:20 PM on Nov. 12, 2010

• My goodness you poor thing!! well, I took Mylanta for heart burn, and that helped but consult with doctor, mine said it was fine. Walking might be good for the leg cramps to get that circulation going, the vomiting will eventually stop, just make sure you are hydrated, and last but not least, those hemorrhoids, preparation H.

Answer by older at 8:18 AM on Nov. 13, 2010

• Nausea (and consequently vomiting) - Eat! It may sound contradictory, but if you eat small, regular meals often, you'll be less likely to get nauseous. And the whole idea of crackers first thing in the morning really does work!
    Heartburn - Don't eat within a few hours of going to bed, and grab a couple extras pillows so you can sleep more elevated. And if you've got heartburn and you're thirsty, water is not your friend. Milk will work much better.
    Leg cramps - Ask your honey for a massage. Or try a nice warmth bath with some epsom salt added, and rub them as well as you can.
    Hemorrhoids - That epsom salt bath will work wonders if you've got them. Also, witch hazel (looks like a rubbing alcohol bottle) on some TP after doing your business may sting for a second, but soothes incredibly well. Make sure you're getting plenty of fresh fruit and veggies in your daily diet to help avoid these nasty buggers!
    Reenieredhead

Answer by Reenieredhead at 10:49 AM on Nov. 13, 2010

• The way I did it with the mourning sickness I honestly grinned and for 2 1/2 months I did not want to eat much I hated the smell of food and then the last day of that time was the worst. I did not eat anything. Then the next day it turned off like a lightbulb and the heartburn set in. I take Zantac 75. I mean each pregnancy is different. You should always talk to your doctor before you take anything. And back pain, I have a heating pad. Bc what the doc says, lots of water, tylenol and a warm bath do not help. You have to do something. I also got meds provided to me to take when needed. I mean symptoms suck sometimes. But the thing I keep remembering is that when my lil man comes out and is in my arms, all pain will be forgotten.
    courtneyrogers

Answer by courtneyrogers at 4:04 PM on Nov. 13, 2010

• My dr suggested 6 small meals/day. That helped with nausea. For leg cramps, try yoga. I did that and felt great. They have pregnancy yoga.
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 7:14 PM on Nov. 13, 2010

• I was told that leg cramps are due to lack of Calcium... My prenatal only gives 15% Calcium, so I take a supplement that gives me 60% more. No leg cramps for me.

Luke-warm, de-fizzed ginger ale or 7-up work on nausea.
    GoodyBrook

Answer by GoodyBrook at 10:42 AM on Nov. 14, 2010