Coconut Oil?? Confused!

I got a recipe to make my own baby shampoo & body wash and another for "butt balm" both require Coconut oil, but when I went to try and buy some there were TONS of options... Some were solid, others were liquid, others were "Extra Virgin" how do I know which is the one I want for this stuff? I'm confused...

Does anyone use Coconut Oil for this stuff? What kind do you use? I plan on buying it online, cause I can get the stuff cheaper that way, but that doesn't help the confusion at all!

Asked by SabrinaMBowen at 5:35 PM on Nov. 12, 2010 in Shopping

• I?'m not sure but if it was up to me I would prolly go with the liquid for the shampoo and then solid for the butt paste. And prolly extra virgin so it doesn't irritate the skin? Idk?
    AlyshaKarese

Answer by AlyshaKarese at 5:44 PM on Nov. 12, 2010

• That's what I was thinking... But I'm really confused here... I guess the liquid could work for either, but I was hoping someone could let me know what they use so I could look in to that kind... I'm confused about which ones are for cooking and which are for cleaning or if they are all the same stuff... My head is spinning!

Comment by SabrinaMBowen (original poster) at 5:46 PM on Nov. 12, 2010

• How can coconut oil be a solid? I thought oil is always a thick liquid??
    .science.mom.

Answer by .science.mom. at 8:01 PM on Nov. 12, 2010

• It's kinda crazy science mom, but they can process it more or less to make it different consistencies. However, liquid will work for both just as well. Extra virgin is always the best way to go when making cosmetics with it.
    HistoryMamaX3

Answer by HistoryMamaX3 at 8:05 PM on Nov. 12, 2010

• Coconut oil is liquid at temperatures above 76 degrees; solid/semi-solid at temperatures below that. I only every use hexane-free extra virgin coconut oil, both for consumption and as a beauty product.
    FootballMom85

Answer by FootballMom85 at 9:46 PM on Nov. 12, 2010