What about health care reform 2011?

Pre-existing conditions covered. Kids up to 26 covered. All preventative measures, exams, test, etc...100% covered. No lifetime maximum for medical plans. These are some of the changes by law in 2011. Do you think that they got some of it right? I do. It isn't that I would not give up these benefits. I can NOT. I was able to get insurance at work & sometimes I don't even have the co-pay to go to doc.., much less meds, even with a med plan. I just think THEY don't GET IT !! What do you think about losing these benefits, if they undo them?

strongmom40

Asked by strongmom40 at 5:37 PM on Nov. 12, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• I think the health care reform bill didn't go far enough, to be honest... And even though I don't doubt the far right will do whatever they can to overturn it, I sincerely hope it won't happen. It's the first step in a process that was long overdue.
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 5:39 PM on Nov. 12, 2010

• I absolutely agree, Anouck.
    DEpley

Answer by DEpley at 5:59 PM on Nov. 12, 2010

• I'm tired of hearing people say that health care reform is a bad idea. What is bad about it?
    TARARENEE

Answer by TARARENEE at 6:01 PM on Nov. 12, 2010

• Some of it I agree with, but I do see it driving the cost of insurance WAY up! Take the 100% coverage for well exams and preventatvie care, who pays for that now? It may be free to us now, but I guarantee that there's a cost to have it done, so who pays for it? You will be paying for it somehow, or someone else will be paying for yours as well as theirs in added costs. I wouldn't mind paying a co-pay for those tests at all.
    DSamuels

Answer by DSamuels at 6:04 PM on Nov. 12, 2010

• Well, at 26 yo, I had been married 6 years and had a 1 year old child. I have a 26 year old and a 24 year old. If they want health insurance, they need to get a job that offers it or pay out of pocket. Otherwise, they will never leave home or find employment with benefits. Why should they? They have been told they are "children" until they are in their mid 20's. There is no such thing as "preventative" medicine. A mammogram never prevented cancer and neither did a prostate exam. They just detect it early, but doesn't prevent it. Plus, my premium has gone up $1,200, and we have made no changes to our policy. No, I'm not too happy with the bill as is at all.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 6:23 PM on Nov. 12, 2010

• Real reform needed to happen yesterday, and some of the provisions are positive, IMO. Having the best HC in the world is only as good as its financial accessibility-

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 6:35 PM on Nov. 12, 2010

• I agree Jesse! I think "children" should be their parents insurance until they are finished with school/college and find a full-time job with benefits. That's the way I was brought up and that's how it was for my kids.

Another thing that's always puzzled me, and maybe we were just lucky. My mom had breast cancer that eventually went to bone cancer. During her treatment my father retired to start a business and they moved and she started a new job with new insurance and she was covered for her treatments. Her bone cancer wasn't treated as a pre-existing condition. This was 24 years ago, so maybe things were just different back then.
    DSamuels

Answer by DSamuels at 6:46 PM on Nov. 12, 2010

• Lots of things have changed in the last 30 years- Job outsourcing, PT only positions (thus eliminating HC benefits all together), downsizing, right sizing....... If you're a less than 26 year old with advanced degrees, 5 years of experience in an "In demand" field, and have a strong connection, you might, be hired for a self supporting job with HC benefits. Otherwise, chances are slim.

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 6:56 PM on Nov. 12, 2010

• And even though I don't doubt the far right will do whatever they can to overturn it,

And the moderates on both sides as well as independents

Michigan as no limit on medical for auto insurance. We pay triple what the rest of the country does for auto insurance. (except for Calif which is about the same. And you think it is expensive now??

Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 7:12 PM on Nov. 12, 2010

• I agree with Anouck and Jesse. It's not perfect but overturning it is a waste of time. We need them to concentrate on jobs ! I also agree that "children" should be on their parents plan til 26 regardless of the haters that think they should be working by then and can afford it. Laughable ain't it?

parrishsky

Answer by parrishsky at 7:28 PM on Nov. 12, 2010