Why am I affraid?

I answer questions and I see responses; so naturally I look at profiles from time to time. I want to know why I am absolutely scared of Arabic people???? I have no reason to be, other than pure fear of terrorism, which for some reason I associate with them and have since 9/11. How can I get over this fear, and why am I grouping them in such a way, that they are all evil??? I am not a racist, but this really makes me feel like one and I just want to get over that fear!!!!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:33 AM on Nov. 3, 2008 in Religion & Beliefs

• ooo ooo I have a sweet story. In short we had no money for groceries, so I had a week long garage sale to make enough daily (until payday) to buy food, this happened a year after 9/11. And who realized after a few days what I was doing? My Muslim neighbors, they went out and bought food for me and my family. I just wanted to pass that on. What beautiful people. People are people, we are all born with "good" seeds and "bad" seeds, which ones get watered in on an individual basis, not a collective one :)

FishingMama

Answer by FishingMama at 1:49 PM on Nov. 3, 2008

• It is probally because they are so much like the Irquai people. They just about all look the same. You probally associate them with evil, and that's why you feel like they are evil. To me they do seem quit different in many ways. That is because their culture is so different from ours.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:01 AM on Nov. 3, 2008

• You answered your own question with this statement

"pure fear of terrorism, which for some reason I associate with them and have since 9/11".

KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 7:44 AM on Nov. 3, 2008

• Since 9/11 the portrayal of Arabs has been quite brutal. Every movie you see they are portrayed as terrorists, every television show, etc. The news media feeds on negative stories as well so you never see the positive side regarding stories in the Middle east, only the bad. They don't show the lives of the everyday person but always the extremist so it leaves the average person thinking ALL of them are extreme in their beliefs when the extremists only make up a small (but vocal) percentage.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 7:45 AM on Nov. 3, 2008

• It won't be an easy stereotype to overcome either. Start slowly by educating yourself about their beliefs, their culture, etc. If you feel comfortable enough, befriend one of the mothers here on cafemom and ask them about their beliefs and their culture and remember only a small percentage has been portrayed and is making you feel the way you do. It's like using Fred Phelps to portray all Christians in the U.S. It's a small( and inaccurate) representation of a larger group of people.
    KristiS11384

• I am really sorry that you feel like this. I know many arab people, I am married to one, my daughter is half arab. Of all the arab people I know, they are the sweetest people you will ever meet. THe most hospitable. YOu cannot leave an arab persons house without laughing so hard your stomach hurts and with out being given so much food you cannot even breathe, lol.
    My only suggestion would be to try to meet an arab person to talk to, or even join the arabic families group on here (just search for it) and see arab people are just normal humans. I wish you luck!
    isra1986

Answer by isra1986 at 7:51 AM on Nov. 3, 2008

• Afraid and fearful?!  LOL  I think you are courageous that you had the good common sense and a big heart to shine light on your fear of Arabic people :) All the other ladies gave great advice so I'll just encourage you with happy-love-fluffy stuff. It is beautiful that you can look at your fear, it will start to go away.

FishingMama

Answer by FishingMama at 10:49 AM on Nov. 3, 2008

• I think it might have to start with knowing that your fear is a product of the media, and the terror campaign that our own government has inflicted on us in the states trying to justify why it's all right to kill thousands of civilians who share nothing with the people who were involved in 9-11 outside of a skin color and a general global region. Fear is a good way to keep people from seeing others humanity.

It would be no more just for a European to fear people from the south because they've heard there are KKK members that live there.

I think a good place to start would be to respect yourself too much to be led by gossip and propaganda. When measuring a person, the only relevant experiences you can apply to the interaction are those of the person you are interacting with.
    Kestrel1

Answer by Kestrel1 at 11:47 AM on Nov. 3, 2008

• Pray about it. God has not given us the spirit of fear but of power, love and of sound mind. :)

I felt that way when I walked right through a hugh crowd of muslims at the community center. Co-workers and I were trying to get to the other side to a conference a month ago.

I think what i fear the most is the men how some are very mean and strict with the women.

JCRestoredme

Answer by JCRestoredme at 12:28 PM on Nov. 3, 2008

• I think 9/11 has had a profound effect on our country as a whole. I don't think we (refering to those who are and not everyone reading this) are "racist" per say but that we are "keeping our guards up" (for lack of a better phrase) which we (I believe) we have the right to just as those would (toward us) if the situations were reversed. I also agree w/ FishingMama in the sense that now that you're aware of what's bothering and that it is bothering you, you've got half the battle over with and the rest will come in time. I have a neighbor from Iraq who (as long as I've known him which is about 4 yrs.) is a great person and friend. His ds and our 3 play together all the time (if they're not here they're there and vice versa lol).
    LovingParent08

Answer by LovingParent08 at 12:29 PM on Nov. 3, 2008