can a baby die from SIDS if they are sleeping on their back?

and all the other necessary precautions are taken ( no soft mattress or excess bedding, stuffed animals, overheating) ?

Dynamight

Asked by Dynamight at 5:44 PM on Nov. 12, 2010 in Kids' Health

• hey dont know exactly what causes SIDS and i hate to say it but it has a chance of happening but so does everything in life. try not to worry about every 'what if' and take comfort in knowing that youre doing all you can :)
    pookipoo

Answer by pookipoo at 5:46 PM on Nov. 12, 2010

• unfortunately, yes. SIDS means the child dies of no known cause. I'm sure the rate of SIDS is MUCH lower with back-sleepers. If you are interested in more info pm me and I'll try to find statistics, etc for you. :)
    kjrn79

Answer by kjrn79 at 5:47 PM on Nov. 12, 2010

• i meant they dont not hey dont :)
    pookipoo

Answer by pookipoo at 5:48 PM on Nov. 12, 2010

• thanks! was just curious. I'm trying not to worry bout things like this. i consider myself well educated just because i read ALOT about baby's health and raising a newborn but i also think that it's increased my anxiety level over thinking every little thing.
    Dynamight

Comment by Dynamight (original poster) at 5:51 PM on Nov. 12, 2010

• I worried about this incessantly when my son was born. Drove myself crazy. Pacifiers are supposed to decrease the risk as well.
    TARARENEE

Answer by TARARENEE at 5:52 PM on Nov. 12, 2010

• i know what you mean, i was the same way in my pregnancy and i just drove myself crazy with all the 'what ifs,' next time around im just going to step away from the computer :)
    pookipoo

Answer by pookipoo at 5:52 PM on Nov. 12, 2010

• I'm a nurse and I was working in maternity/ nursery for 3 years before and while I was pregnant and until my son was 9 months old, so I understood just about any POSSIBLE (improbable) thing that can happen. You wanna worry? Work there while pregnant, lol.....
    kjrn79

Answer by kjrn79 at 5:57 PM on Nov. 12, 2010

• there is absolutely 0 evidence that belly sleeping causes SIDS and there is no evidence that back sleeping reduces the risk either

there is a lot of research coming in now that back to bed is only safe when the baby sleeps in the same room as the parent..... lots of back sleepers dieing of aspiration ...lots of aspiration pneumonia diagnosis

SIDS is really a diagnosis of elimination made by the ME (medical examiner) when they just can not figure it out....
    MELRN

Answer by MELRN at 7:24 PM on Nov. 12, 2010

• Yes, they can. The best ways to prevent SIDS is to put baby to sleep on his/her back or side, don't smoke (even if you're not around baby.) breastfeed and co-sleep.
    PhilsBabyMama

Answer by PhilsBabyMama at 11:18 PM on Nov. 12, 2010

• I have heard SO many things regarding SIDS over the years.. I really wonder what the main contributor/risks are.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 3:22 PM on Nov. 13, 2010