The mysterious plume of smoke

There was a story out the other day with a picture of a smoke trail from an unknown source at the time. The trail looked very much like a missile or some other different thing. It did not look like an airplane. No body new anything and it was reported that there were no planes in the air at that time. Then all of a sudden they declared that it was in fact an airplane that made that smoke trail. Am I the only one that doesn't believe this?

Roisin07

Asked by Roisin07 at 6:08 PM on Nov. 12, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• I'm not sure it was a plan, but I saw the video. I didn't see it first hand. I don't know. It didn't look like any contrail I have ever seen.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 6:18 PM on Nov. 12, 2010

• link??
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 6:19 PM on Nov. 12, 2010

• jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 6:36 PM on Nov. 12, 2010

• I know 2 retired missiler's who were willing to bet money based on what they saw~both said it wasn't a plane.. But psshaw~ what do they know... LOL

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 7:13 PM on Nov. 12, 2010

• There was another one in queens yesterday.
    I heard a guy on talk radio...he was from the Jane's Fighting Ships book series, who thinks it looked like a surface to air missile, maybe from a sub off the coast. He called them 'warning shots'.

*shrug* or maybe someone decided to try to go to space. One of those X-prize guys. I dunno.
    Jenny-talia

Answer by Jenny-talia at 7:13 PM on Nov. 12, 2010

• Ohh and they said, IF it were a plane (which they were willing to bet it wasn't)~ A plane of that caliber would have been tracked via the FAA.. They could put this to rest with a flight/destination of 'said' plane..
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 7:17 PM on Nov. 12, 2010

• It doesn't make sense that some mystery entity would kind of secretly launch a missle for a secret purpose and then disappear back into thier secret underground bunker never to be seen or heard from again.

A plane seems like a reasonable explaination.
    UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 7:39 PM on Nov. 12, 2010

• t doesn't make sense that some mystery entity would kind of secretly launch a missle

There are private missile contractors who work on projects to compete for bids for the Missile Defense Agency. I wouldn't be surprised if one of them had a serious FUBAR.... 

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 7:46 PM on Nov. 12, 2010

• I saw a quite sensible explanation on the news from an aeronautics guy showing how it was a plane. Shown at an unusual angle and compared to a KNOWN plane at the same angle. They were identical.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 7:47 PM on Nov. 12, 2010

• I don't believe it either. And it's not like the government has never covered up anything before, right?
    ceallaigh

Answer by ceallaigh at 8:16 PM on Nov. 12, 2010