Cold weather socks...

I've only seen snow 2 times, but am now living in North Chicago. So I have no idea about what clothes to wear. I've bought sweaters, pea coat, jeans, long underwear, scarves, gloves, hat. But what are the best kind of socks to buy? What keep your feet the warmest? Wool, cashmere, fleece, etc. What is the best brand? I need to get some for the whole family because we only have no-show athletic socks. I'm going out to buy boots today since my warmest shoes are my running shoes. Thank you for any help and if you can think of anything else I need to get, PLEASE let me know. I'm currently pregnant and am due in February, just to make it a little more difficult:)

Pregowithsecond

Asked by Pregowithsecond at 6:50 AM on Nov. 3, 2008 in Shopping

• I just had to tell you this one my husbands feet get really cold as sometimes he works in it. One year we bought him a pair of socks that had batteries, really! He said they kept his feet good and warm. Last year he bought these things that heat up and you stick them in your shoes or boots. I personally like the thick bottom socks that go up your leg.
    Freda01

Answer by Freda01 at 6:58 AM on Nov. 3, 2008

• Well, let me first say that as a pregnant woman during the winter, you are in luck! I was pregnant in the winter both times and it helps with the cold so much because your body temp is up, so you're warmer! However, you do have to worry about walking in the snow and ice, but still.... I don't think I could handle a summer pregnancy with the heat/humidity and swelling.

I'd check out some sites like LL Bean, Eddie Bauer & Land's End for their cold-weather wear. I have a pair of really nice non-snow boots (they're over 10 years old now) that kept my feet soooo warm in the winter. I have no idea what it was about them, but I loved them! Unfortunately, I don't wear them now because I'm more into fashion and style, but I still have them!
    NovaChk

Answer by NovaChk at 8:48 PM on Nov. 3, 2008

• I only buy Smartwool. You do need to buy a winter coat that has insulatation in it. I do not know if Smartwool is carried by LLBean or Lands End, but I know REI and the oneline store of FootSmart does. The only pair I will ever buy and only wear is Smartwool. I love LLBean because they have a great return policy. I returned shoes I bought last year ( after only wearing them for about a day or two) and I got a full refund! I live in Coloradao, so you know it cold out here too!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:03 AM on Nov. 6, 2008